Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fostering a Fish Tank

So many of you may know that I am fostering a 10 gallon fish tank for my sister in law. This launched me qickly in to buying my own 36 gallon tank and soon to purchase a 90-150 gallon tank also.

I really dig it.

Anywho - I have quickly found out that this 10 gallon tank is generally worthless... I would like to retire it to a hospital/quarrentine tank BUT it belongs to my sister in law. The fish that came with were 1 silver sail fin molly that is a huge PITA. 1 Danio (deceased), 2 Chinese Algae Eater (1 about 1.5 inches the other about 5 inches: Both have found new homes! Phew... So the only fish left is a Silver Molly and I've added a snail Tank is still worthless IMHO.

So - I would like to replace the tank with a tank that has the same foot print - here's the thing, the stand the tank is to be on is a stand she got from her father when she was a child - sentimental attachment to the stand.

I understand that a 15 gallon tall tank has the same footprint (just 6 inches taller). SO if I were to replace this 10 gallon with a 15 gallon, if I took all ALL the media out of the 10 gallon (gravel, filter, rocks, decos and most of the water) and put it in a new tank (so the only thing new IS the actual tank) would one believe and agree that this 15 gallon would be cycled immediately and that I'd be able to put the fish in too?

Are there any other ideas for keeping the stand FOR tank use and still make her happy when she gets it back? (I admit, I haven't done a very good job fostering as I ditched 3 of her 4 fish - 2 of them by choice! and now I'm looking to ditch the tank too! LOL).

Thanks
Janelle

Old 11-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

IMO i would say its safe. I upgraded from a 20 gallon to a 40 gallon and did the same thing with no problems. In my eyes it was like doing a 50% water change. As long as its the same filter and water I don't see a problem with it.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

If it wasn't cycled immediately, it would be in a few days. As bacteria multiply exponentially, the difference between small established to larger established is minuscule compared to that of unestablished to established.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know, she may be very upset, even if you upgrade tank size for her, she trusts you to take care of her fish.....just a thought.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah - I was wondering about that too Ocean...

"Here you go - not only are all but one of your fish gone, but it is a new tank & I made it *better* for you"...

Uh... Yeah - not sure... LOL...

And by that time too, who knows... It could be a year or two from now - it may be all new fish by then as the Molly is about 4 years old! YIKES!

And I was thinking the same thing about swapping out the media - I don't think anything that the tank would go through would affect the fish if I upgraded with everything...

But then again - maybe I shouldn't do that at all! (Though I do think I'll at least get a new filter as this thing on there is junk.....) I'll probably just move it upstairs in to my bedroom when I get my big big tank and have to put my 36 gal bowfront tank where this 10 gallon is now...

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com