found 10g ..stocking suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_newbie

Aquarium Advice Activist
hmm ..i just found another 10g and im wondering what i should put in it ..im kinna looking for some bigger fish ..maybe a good mating pair? or one big fish? ..any suggestions?

You could have 1 angel in that - they need about 10 gallons each. Unless you can of course get a mating pair of angels if you feel like you will upgrade to a 20g later? :D

I think a 10-gal is too small for even one angel, just due to their finnage and potential size - it's not enough room for them to swim.

A dwarf gourami and some cory cats, shelldwelling cichlids, a pair of rams, or you could get about 4 dwarf puffers in there.

Yeah - wouldn't rush for a pleco. They grow too big. I only followed advice from
-beep- petsmart. Now I have this site. But yeah, TG is right angels will start off small but within a year they become a whopping 110mm! Puffers would be a good idea too though. Just check with us if anything will fight, before buying them.

hmm ..i already got puffers and i kinda want rams but i cant find any around my area ...but shellies seem VERy interesting after reading that site ..does anyone have any pictures of a shelldwelling tank? oh and is it ok if i put driftwood in there? cause i have a spare piece and i dont want it to go to waste ...and is crushed coral sand really a necessity? maybe i can use playsand insted?

Shelldwelling cichlids prefer hard, alkaline water, and as they bury their shells sand is really the best thing to keep them happy. I use empty escargot shells sold at gourmet markets, sometimes at the grocery store. If you already have hard water with a high pH then you can use regular play sand, but if not get yourself some aragonite sand or special sand for Africans, Caribsea has Sahara sand, and a few others.

You can certainly put driftwood in there - technically it will soften your water and does not adhere to the biotope for shellies but I have tons of it in various tanks and do not notice any particular dip in pH with it. If you go with N. multifasciatus, N. brevis or N. oscellatus see if you can get a male and 3 females. I think you will find this to be a fascinating species tank, and a great way to stock a small aquarium, if you go this route.

Back
Top Bottom