Found a snail in my bowl... What is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a bowl with java fern plant and moss in it. No live fish or shrimp.

This morning when I looked at the bowl, I found a tiny little cone shape snail in it, all buy itself. It must have come in with the plants. Its about 1 or 2 mm long. Very small.

I took a picture of it. Here is a link to it:

View image: 2

Can anyone tell me what kind of snail this is, as I am worried its poisonous to humans and I am thinking of throwing the whole bowl out.

Thank you.

Almost looks like a small Malaysian Trumpet Snail (MTS) I see what looks like the rings of the shell but not 100%

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do they bring disease to humans?
Do they eat plants?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No diseases that I know of and they don't eat live plants, only dead and decaying ones.

My 27g is infested with them.. You don't usually see em when the lights are on.. but they come out at night and tear algae apart.. My heaxagon used to have a lot of algae.. and when I got a new plant they must have hitch hiked.. Now it seems like I have hundreds of them... I personally don't like them anymore because I cant transfer overgrown plants from that tank to another anymore.. They deff don't eat plants and don't bother anything in the tank, they just eat algae and that's it

Im thinking of pouring some copper or some **** in the tank to kill them lol.. I have 2 assassin snails in there but they cant keep up with them.

Those are Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS) The other pest snail that people run into are pond snails

Here are some pest snails that you can wind up with in aquariums

Pond snail
4e6364604c68e.jpg

Malaysian Trumpet Snail
img_3201770_1_54806f35631d81931203c6a9a27e5626.png

Freshwater limpets
maxresdefault.jpg

MTS are considered a pest snail, but are really quite beneficial for planted aquariums with sand. They keep the sand turned and loose by burrowing into it making the roots have an easier time. I introduced them to my tanks on purpose for this reason and they have done a great job with it.

However, if you have them in gravel they are irritating and pointless to have.

You can keep the population down by not overfeeding the tank. The problem is that a lot of food gets stuck in gravel giving them more than enough food to multiply to plague like proportions. Assassin snails have little to no effect on their population and most fish won't get them since they mostly stay burrowed in the substrate.

The only pest snails that I loathe are the Limpets because they feed solely off of Biofilm and there are no critters that will kill them. Pond snails and MTS are useful in their own way.

Take that snail out of your tank, when I purchased fish at PetSmart a snail was in the bag and I thought it would be cute to have A snail, well one snail turns into hundreds. My tank was so infested I had to take all the substrate out of my tank and replace it.

Take that snail out of your tank, when I purchased fish at PetSmart a snail was in the bag and I thought it would be cute to have A snail, well one snail turns into hundreds. My tank was so infested I had to take all the substrate out of my tank and replace it.

MTS need 2 to repopulate, and if you ever feed they repopulate even faster ;)

It looks like Melanoides granifera, those are much nicer than the regular trumpet snail

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom