Found clear worms on tank wall.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tonight when cleaning my 28 gallon after draining the water I noticed 2 clear worms on the glass of the tank. They were alive. When wiped off on a paper towel they looked cream colored. Under a microscope they just look like a worm. No flat head nothing distinguishing. I think it may be Detritus Worms but I'm not sure where they came from.

Anyone know what they are? Thanks!
Jana

Attachments

• image-1330647458.jpg
    image-1330647458.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 171
Sorry I should add that the test results are fine. The tank tested at 0 ammonia and nitrite this am and the nitrates looked borderline10/20 which is why I did the water change.

Mid April I switched from gravel to sand and just last week I added some fish that had finished ICH treatment so the bioload has gone up.

Yeah it looks like that is what they are. Bummer :( Not sure what to do about that but will check it out. THANKS!

EDIT: Darnit I was thinking annelid (still learning my worms). Nematodes are bad

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so from what I can tell no worms coming out of the fish or their anus. BUT I do have one tetra that has occasionally looked like it has dropsy but it eats a lot. I have had that fish for a month or two. The only concern I have with him is that he seems to breath rapidly.

It could be annelids because I have recently added 6 fish and probably feed too much.

Question is how do you know which? Keep an eye on them or treat as a precautionary step?

Thanks!
Jana

Planaria is another common worm found but I believe they have a distinctive flat head or something. Nemotodes are hair like and pretty uniform in roundness throughout the length of their bodies.

I had Nematodes once but they appeared to be white thin sting-like worms.. Not that clear as yours. So I'm not quite sure if that's what you have. Mine didn't affect my fish and I didn't spot any coming out of the fish. They were mainly in the gravel up against the glass. I did numerous gravel vacs every day for weeks and they went away (from what I can see). There are numerous species of Nematodes from what I've read and some found in your aquarium won't hurt your fish, while some can. I'm no expert and I'm just regurgitating some info I came up on when I was freaking out when I spotted the worms. So I can be somewhat inaccurate in my recollection.

Here's a video of what I saw in my tank (not my video)...

Coursair said:
I've had Planaria in my tank. Mine were small whitish flat worms. Pretty tiny. I used Fenbendazole, dog dewormer in my 10g. Killed the worms, but didn't bother fish, snails or my Crystal Red Shrimp. Let me Google that for you

Wow... That LMGTFY is freakin cool... Never seen that before! Haha

I checked out planaria but it really didn't look like that. When I was looking at it last night on the web and using the microscope I didn't see the flat triangular head or the 'eyes'. BUT my microscope probably isn't good enough to see that.

I think at this point it is between planaria or annelids due to over feeding or one of my fish may have something going on. I'll grab some and keep an eye on it. Looks like I can feed it to the fish too if necessary.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom