Found new homes for fish. Feel just awful about it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolchinchilla

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I feel just terrible. :cry:

Background: About 3 months ago a guy had to sell his tank quickly so I bought it for cheap including the fish. It was a 30 gallon with 10 mbuna cichlids and a pleco. I started to read on the internet about these guys so I could better take care of them. I began to realize that my fish were WAY overstocked and they didn't have enough swimming room. I wanted to do right by these guys. I wondered if just 2 mbunas would be happy in my tank but these fish need more swimming room. I wanted them to thrive, not just survive. So I decided I needed to find them new homes.

Current: I advertised them and one person said she'd like the two yellow labs and the pleco. She came tonight for them. After I finally netted the fish and put them in her bucket, I asked her how big her tank was. It was 30 gallons. 8O Oh man... I gave up these two labs because my 30 gallon was TOO SMALL for them. :evil: <sigh> The woman was a vet-tech so at least she'll take care of them. :cry: Poor fish. I feel bad for them.

I caught the rest of the fish and brought them to the LFS. They don't give any store credit, but I knew it was a good store and they'd take care of my fish. The LFS guy put my fish in a bag and floated it in the tank. Later when I went back to look at them, the other fish in the tank were ganging up on my guys and there was a lot of aggression. 8O I wonder if they'll survive. :cry:

Now I just feel terrible. :cry: What have I done to my poor fish??? They'd have been better off with me in the crowded 30 gallon!!! <sigh> But because of aggression, two of my cichlids died so it wasn't ideal.

I tried to find them good homes. I really did. :bad-words: I wanted them to thrive and not just survive. Poor guys. Now I wonder if they will actually survive. :bawl: Thanks for listening.

With a heavy heart.
coolchinchilla :puppydogeyes:

Well you did it with only the best intentions in mind, Chinchilla. I'm sure she'll take good care of them ^^ and maybe even buy them a bigger tank!

Thanks puriti.

The labs will most likely survive. I'm more worried about the ones I took to the LFS. I hope they make it. :( I thought I was helping everyone. :bawl:

coolchinchilla

Hopefully the employees will notice the aggression and take action. You did the right thing in trying to find better homes for the fish where they wouldnt be cramped. Kudo's to you for the effort.

you definetly did what was best for the fish and all you can do is think positive for them

because what YOU did was great opportunity for the fish to find brand new homes with lots of space :D

Agreed. You are a concientous fishkeeper. You respected their needs and did what you could to provide the best for them.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. It really helps. :| Like I say, I want these fish to thrive, not just survive. I know I keep saying that, but it's true. <sigh>

I find I miss 'em. They would all hide under/behind the rocks and barely peek out when I came close to the tank. Then they would eat with the greatest GUSTO when I put in food. LOL. They were fun fish.

Now the tank is naked. I suppose it will be fun to recreate the tank, but right now I miss my cichlids.

Thanks again everyone.

coolchinchilla :pepsi:

Im so sorry coolchinchilla. Kudos to you for trying to give your fish a better home. Hopefully everything will turn out in the end.

I'm sorry to hear about that, coolchinchilla. You had the best of intentions and you can't blame yourself for something you can't control. I'm in the same situation with my breeding pair of angels I gave to a friend (long story why) because I knew he'd take care of them. Well, the male all of the sudden got aggressive and he didn't want the female anymore so he gave the male to another person and the female is going to the fish store. Now I hear the male is being picked on by another larger angel in this other person's place and I don't even know how she is taking care of my favorite fish. So see, you can't control what happens you can only try and hope for the best that it will work out.

Back
Top Bottom