Found some sort of bug in frozen brine shrimp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishobsessed7

Aquarium Advice Addict
Should I just get rid of the bug and feed the shrimp, or get rid of the whole cube?

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Me personally I'd throw out the cube. Cross contamination..

I found a whole shrimp in a cube of mysis once. Very odd.

Caleb

Ok, that's what I'll do then.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

That's why I only feed Hikari. My fish got parasites a few years ago from another brand. Not all parasites are killed by freezing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This was SF bay

Fishobsessed7

I trust their brine shrimp eggs and that's about it with that company

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Is Omega One a fairly trusted brand with frozen foods? (I've got a mix of Omega One for brine shrimp and SF Bay for mysis and bloodworms, but it's my first time with frozen foods!) I haven't had any problems with either.

Omega one I will use if necessary never heard anything bad.

But on other reputable forums when I had a parasite from SF bloodworms several serious fish breeders who have microscopes had similar experiences and confirmed there were in fact parasites in the blood worms. Some parasites can not be killed by freezing. My favorite fish, my peacock gudgeons all died before I could figure out what the problem was. When you aren't used to disease it's hard to know what's going on and when I figured it out it was too late. This was a few years ago but I don't trust them and won't buy their frozen foods.

Well! I suppose that's good to know, I hope I can find some Hikari brand food near me. Was there any specific time frame for that incident (maybe years ago, etc.)?

I have a bad concept of time but I would have to say like 2 years ago. It was a mass Wipeout in my tank. I thought i did something but found out through another organization that it was the bloodworms specifically.

Just curious if it was some sort outbreak/unsafe practice etc. with the company, like how e. coli and salmonella can be found in certain companies, but with that comparison, perhaps I'd be better off not buying from SF Bay haha

It had to do with their unsafe practices. I can't remember specifically what. Hikari uses different methods. It costs more but I can't afford to have my fish room wiped out either so I'd rather pay a little more now

Back
Top Bottom