Found Something ALIVE In My Sump!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBirdsong

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just happened to looking to my sump with a flashlight (checking for some Danios http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=61881&highlight= ) and I found the smallest little creature I have probably ever seen (aside from single cell).
It's too small to photograph but it's a small fish, maybe shorter than a millimeter. Looks clear, almost. Dark top. Slender body. Any ideas?

I can't believe I even saw it. It's in a shot glass now. Going to see if I see anymore.

But I haven't seen ANY eggs.

By the way, I have caught one more and have seen at least five more. They are attached to the glass in some cases . . . otocinclus fry maybe?

the white clouds are scatters though.. Im not sure what other fish you have that are scatters.. but that might explain not seeing the eggs (the surviving eggs would have been took down to the sump before you saw them, possibly)

Well all of my fish are listed in my sig. My first thought was ghost shrimp, but they are definately not shrimp. These are fish. I guess the reason I am leaning to otos is because I have found some many of them in my sump attached to the glass. I have a sponge infront of the pump, so they can't get sucked back up. Maybe I should just leave them there, and see if they grow up a little. I could always put something in there for them to eat.

I didn't even expect this. Especially this soon.

You have a point though. Any eggs layed on my overflow box would have just taken a ride down the drain pipe.

This confirms something, though. I have been thinking about doing a planted "propogation" tank for my 55 gal. And hooking the plumbing up so that all the water runs through it, and then to a sump. I would use it to keep shrimp and let fry swim around freely as well. Maybe I should go ahead and do that. It wouldn't cost that much to setup.

Quick update

I haven't seen the fry for two days now. Danios made it into my sump again yesterday. I'm afraid they may have eaten a couple of them. Its possible they are still alive, but just hiding. They are still so small. Probably know for sure in a week, I guess.

Quick update:

So they are still there. I think I have lost a couple, but I stirred up the bio-balls yesterday and saw two of the fry. Still alive, still "swimming". :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom