Four hour power outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Insom1982

Aquarium Advice Regular
So the apartment I live in is shutting off the power for four hours tomorrow so the city can upgrade some switches I will be at work when things happens is there anything I should be worries about ??

So the apartment I live in is shutting off the power for four hours tomorrow so the city can upgrade some switches I will be at work when things happens is there anything I should be worries about ??

Do you have a battery powered bubbler?

I don't my roomate should still be home when it's said and done but just worries me a bit

Go to the store and buy some pantyhoes... If you have any used filter media that is cycled put it in the hoes and tie it shut. Then put the air stone on the bottom of your tank and put the media and maybe a rock on top... It will keep filtering your tank... Have your neighbor come over and change the batteries if need be, those things go through some gogo juice

No need don't worry about any of that. Power is only out for 4 hours nothing is going to happen fish are shipped in boxes and last for days in the mail. Your tank could go a day or two without filtration. When I had problems with a noisy filter I turned the filter off every night for a week until the new filter arrived and that was 8-10 hours.

Depending on where you live heat is the only thing I would be worried about. If you live in a cold area I would crank the heat before you leave and get your apartment nice and hot before the power is shut off.

The other thing I would do is disconnect any hosing so there is not any accidental back draining that may drain the tank on to your floor because of loss of pressure. (most air stones and filters have valves that prevent against this these days but why chance it)

Agree ^, you shouldn't have any issues unless your tank is way overstocked. If you have an overstocked tank, then in four hours you could very well have issues and I would invest in a battery powered air pump. It would be far more about air diffusion into the tank then filtration however.

Thanks rivers2k I will be turning the heat up tonight a bit as it has been very cold here last few days minus 43 with windchill my apartment is water heated so it should be fine I will have my roomate check everything before he leaves hoping the power will be back on before that

Also when your roommate is there get him to take out a bucket full of water from tank and raise arm as high as possible and pour it back in the tank. Adds some oxygen back in the water. Do It maybe twice

Just get a wooden spoon and have you roommate stir to agitate the water every so often to help with the gas exchange at the top of the water and they'll be fine.

The fish are fine power was restored before my roomate left

Four hours, no problem, as long as everything starts back up right away after shut down.

Back
Top Bottom