Four more inches of fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monkeysinacan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have 4 Zebra Danios in my 10 gallon leaving me about 4-5 inches of fish left. I was thinking about getting two Peppered Corys but I'm not sure.
Any one have any ideas? I kinda want something to contrast the spastic nature of the Danios.

personally i think zebras do better in 20 gallon tanks. they are super active fish and enjoy their space to swim. i also hate the inch per gallon rule too. i would go with 3 dwarf cories such as pandas.

I don't really rule cories or other bottom feeders into the inch per gallon rule because they are on the bottom anyways and don't really take up room, just impacts the bioload. I suggest getting a trio of P. Cories, then you should be set.

thats the point of the inch per gallon as some kind of way to measure bio load be it wrong most often then right still that was the point of it.

I'd also recommend a longer tank than 10g for danios. If I were you I'd take them back and see if you can get something else. 5 neons/black neons/glowlight tetras would be okay IMO. A trio of guppies may be okay too as would some dwarf shrimp like red cherry shrimp, yellow shrimp, blue pearl shrimp, snowball shrimp.... you get the idea. You can keep several hundred dwarf shrimp in your tank easily.

Well cories could also be beneficial since danios are a upper-tank fish, the cories would eat extra food off of the bottom that could have been turned into ammonia. I would also agree that the inch per gallon rule is kinda off.

The inch per gallon is intended to keep newbies from doing stupid overstocking. If it is ignored, the end result is often an overstocked tank. Making excuses to ignore part of the bioload is another way for a newbie to get in trouble but it is not too unusual to see it done.
The cories will add as much bioload as the fish that are already in the tank. That is almost guaranteed to give you a mini cycle by doubling the bioload overnight. I would agree that it would be nice to have several cories in the tank but they cannot be added all at once. With the present bioload, one cory is about all that should be added at any one time although 3 or 4 could be made to work in that tank if you have some patience.

Back
Top Bottom