Free driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so since im apparently "old enough to go to the fish store by myself," i am on a tight budget. Most of the time my family "borrows" my money, and i figured " well, if its just wood, theres plenty of it for free." What are some good trees to get it from? Should i got and get it from a river? How do i make it sink? How long before it rots?

Hardwood trees like oak and maple is a start. I'm sure plenty of members have gone to a local (CLEAN!) river/stream and found plenty of branches etc. If it's waterlogged then it should sink.

The question is how to make it aquarium safe? Naturally after scrubbing it down, a few trips in an empty dishwasher will help, followed by a dip in a large enough bucket of water for a few days. This (and dishwasher) will help release tannins and let you see how well it floats. If it still floats, you can tie it down to a rock or ornament ... eventually it will water-log and sink.

Id give it more than a few days. Took a month of soaking to do our driftwood piece. Even now it still discolourates the water.

Most hardwoods, including fruit woods will work fine as drift wood. Wood that has been in the water for a long time will not likely release any tannins. If you start with dry wood, that has been dead for a while it can sink quickly or slowly depending on the type. The nicest pieces generally come from the roots, and a piece that won't sink can be attached to apiece of slate with a brass or bronze screw and the slate buried in the substrate.
Wood should have any bark removed, and can be soaked in a bleach solution if it came from the water, or it can be boiled to sterilize. I power wash it sometimes.
Recently i prepare a couple of dead chunks of weeping mulberry, by power washing to remove the bark and than soaking in a tank with a few more power washes when it got scumming looking. It has been in a tank with fish for about 5 months now and hasn't leached any tannins. It took about a month to sink.

I found a method to get the driftwood clean and get it to sink faster alternate boiling and low heat ~ 150° in the oven it dries the outside and it pulls in water into the core faster 3 hrs boiling and 3 hrs baking do it a couple times

Back
Top Bottom