free snail... Can someone ID this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know theres a lot of snail guru's out there... I bought 3 new wild caught Cardinals today, and a snail is in the bag.

Its small, but it is VERY pretty. I was wondering if someone could ID it for me

its about 3mm long... or around 1/8th an inch.

thanks!

Attachments

• 3mm_snail_859.jpg
    3mm_snail_859.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 3mm_snail2_905.jpg
    3mm_snail2_905.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 182
No, those are the small guys that are not harmful to a planted tank. I have about a dozen of them to compliment the collection of 20 mystery snails. I've never seen one so gold before - nice. Mine are a reddish brown, some with white flesh some with red.

I disagree with the ID. The first pic shows a spire, as opposed to the flat or mostly flat spiral of a ramshorn. The angle of the pics makes it hard to give a definite ID though. Can you get some shots of the snail out of its shell, or a straight on shot of its underside and "door"? Does it even have a door?

LOL, yeah definately not a ramshorn. As mosaic said, if it were a ramshorn it would be flatter. It is pointy and spirals oputwars, and not inwards like ramshorns. I am really stuck on this ID, i will do a little more looking around

It looks a little like P. haustrum, but you'll have to see if it grows! :)

yerah my first reaction was a cana or hamstrum, does it have a door? and the color of the body will make a big diff too.

I put it in my 2.5 gallon beta tank. We will see if i ever see it again! lol. Hopefully it flourishes and ill be able to get a bigger pic out when i see it again.

Back
Top Bottom