Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Freeze dried food?

hello, i have heard that freeze dried food isnt that good for fish. I have been feeding my fish freeze dried blood worms for a couple weeks now and they seem to like it, so why isnt it good. And also could you tell me if this is a good light to start a planted tank? Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Coralife Nutri Grow Plant Lamp

Old 11-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #2

You need to start two different threads if you want help with the light.

Freeze dried foods are not as nutritious as frozen. Frozen foods are not as nutritious as high quality pellet foods. I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum exclusively.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mmm, if you google this you will see it's a high fat and high protein snack, and can cause bloating because of this and because it absorbs water in the gut. It's not good as a staple. I think I lost a couple bettas to feeding a staple of FDbw when I first started fishkeeping. They got quite bloaty.

I suggest feeding peas to your fish if you feed FD bw

But I'm sure the more experienced people on this forum can give you a more detailed answer! That's just what I've learned
Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's worse for some fish than others, but in general, FD is harder on digestion. Just like with human food, the more processing the food goes through, the more nutrition it loses. If you must use FD, soak it in some tank water until it's reconstituted before feeding. But picking up frozen is a better idea.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

well i only feed freeze dried once a week and i cant get frozen food but i also feed flake food. Also, the reason i posted about the light is because i already made a thread about it but no one answered
Old 12-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i no longer feed freeze dried foods because when my neons eat it they have a hard time swimming because they float to the top for a day or two.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The thing that can make freezedried foods dangerous is that people don't know that they need to rehydrate the food PRIOR to feeding it to the fish.

I only feed bloodworms about once every week to 10 days. I alternate many different foods and I have no picky eaters.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammorrill View Post
Also, the reason i posted about the light is because i already made a thread about it but no one answered
You didn't put your thread in the proper forum section, that's why you haven't gotten responses yet.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:39 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i have a hard time hydrating my FD blood worms so i just bought the frozen kind which are so much better. i just break off a chunk and thaw it in a shot glass with some tank water then dump it in the tank.
for 4 oz its 4.50 for the frozen blood worms and for .42 oz of freeze dried its 6.50. just on weight and price alone which do you think is the better deal although with the freeze dried they add a lot of vitamins and minerals.

Tags
food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com