Fresh water eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitaknj

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i have found an interest in fish tanks, and have always had tanks with my parents but have only recently started my own. Its small. But my next project, i want a fresh water eel. So what size tank, what fish do they get a long with and what kind of eel should i go looking for? Any advice is appreciated

African Rope Fish

I see your interest in eels. I had an African rope fish in a tank for about a year and it was fun to watch, it had days where it would hide in the castle coiled up like a snake. When it came out it would swim all around the tank and even come to the top during feeding time, making it quite fun to watch. Only thing proventing me from getting another one is My little African Dwarf Frogs.

You can house a fire eel in a 48" tank till it's in the 12-14" range. A 75g would be best for the 48" tank. Past that at least 72" tanks are ideal.

What about a zigzag eel?

Here is my spiny eel. Have him in a 75 gal now til rehome

Attachments

• image-321198963.jpg
    image-321198963.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 172
The minimum for a full grown Fire Eel is 180 gallons. Don't get one unless you can properly care for it!! I would recommend a Zigzag Zag or Peacock Eel. They stay smaller and will not require a huge tank as adults. But if you are getting an Eel make sure you know what to feed it. It makes me mad when people try to feed their eels the wrong foods especially freeze dried blood worms! If you get an Eel feed
FROZEN Blood Worms
Tubifex Worms
Earth Worms
And my Fire Eel eats frozen shrimp.
Most Eels will only take frozen and live foods.

Shane87 said:
Picking mine up Friday :D

Fire Eel? Awesome! I love mine but look at my post above and make sure you know everything about them. The # 1 cause of Fire Eel death in captivity is people feeding the wrong foods. Also these fish get massive and require large tanks as adults. Good luck! Its a lot of fun to hand feed them.

Back
Top Bottom