fresh water from salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwint

Aquarium Advice Freak
i am thinking of changeing over to fresh water but i did'nt see any colorful fish at live aquaria.i saw a discus and that was about it.that's the type of fish i want.i have a 75 gal with plenty of caves and decorations.does anyone out there have pictures of weird looking or colorful fish i could look at?

i am thinking of changeing over to fresh water but i did'nt see any colorful fish at live aquaria.i saw a discus and that was about it.that's the type of fish i want.i have a 75 gal with plenty of caves and decorations.does anyone out there have pictures of weird looking or colorful fish i could look at?

Speaking from my personal experience, some Barbs have some nice coloration ... look-up the fish in my signature. My top candidates
Denison Barbs,
Odessa (Males) Barbs,
Black-Ruby (Males) Barbs
TigerBarbs (go with the three color variations, regular, albino and green)

I've recently added Rummynose Tetras and if your water parameters are ideal, they show a really bright red coloration around the nose. In my son's tank there are Neon and Cardinal Tetras, which a large school of in a 75gal with a black background and dark substrate would look striking.

There are others ... and I'm sure you'll hear of plenty of other good options.

For something colorful, look into species of rainbow fish, apistos, red laser cories and different strains of discus. With a 75 gallon you have a lot of options :)

Fresh Water from Salt

Hello d...

If you want color, I'd recommend "Livebearers". With the possible exception of Mollies, you won't find a hardier, more peaceful and colorful species of fish.

Throw in some different species of Corydoras (the little cats) and you've got an awesome community tank. I have several large, planted tanks of these fish and they get along great together.

B

i like the discus and i read they have to be in schools.how many would be good in a 75 gal 6? or what else could i put in there

i looked them up and saw a nice spotted one,do they get along with discus

If your after colour then I'd say African cichlids, there are also some really nice south/central American cichlids. Or you could do discus in a peaceful community tank.

Oh one more thing- not a good idea to mix cichlids, keep Africans with Africans and American with American. Africans wouldn't do well with a discus they would kill it.

I would research discus a lot if you're wanting them. They're known for being very very sensitive. They are definitely and undertaking.

I don't know anything about Discus except they have this slime/mucous and a lot of people keep them in bare bottom tanks and they need lots of water changes and maintenance.

Interesting fish IMO.. and no these can't be kept together, each needs to be individually researched.

Plecos (I love bristlenose plecos), loaches (khuli loaches are my newest faves), cory catfish, rainbow shark, ghost knife fish, freshwater eels, gouramis,.rams, angelfish.... I could go on and on.

Walk through the fish stores and write down what sparks your interstate, then research each species and when you have an idea we can help you with a stock list.

Back
Top Bottom