Fresh water puffer ID??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryleyman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a fresh water puffer at my LFS yesterday and I forgot to ask what type he/she was can you awesome people help me??

Attachments

• image-494636437.jpg
    image-494636437.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 126
  • image-3998276539.jpg
    image-3998276539.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 128
  • image-3547057237.jpg
    image-3547057237.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 119
Those are very aggressive fish. Isolation is best and their teeth grow faster than average.

+1 avocado puffer - Auriglobus Modestus

Terrance said:
Those are very aggressive fish. Isolation is best and their teeth grow faster than average.

+1 avocado puffer - Auriglobus Modestus

I read that If you keep him fed they won't bother other fish

And I've had a problem getting him to eat what do they prefer to eat??

Overfeeding causes internal kidney problems and premature death. Feeding these fish to the point where they cant eat any more will kill them. I see them all the time at my lfs with a group of them tearing off each others tail. If there was a puffer that requires isolation, then these puffers are one of my top choices.

These Wild caught puffers are not adjusted to capticity. Try any dead or live worms and crustaceans. Eventually they will accept you as the feeder.

Terrance said:
Overfeeding causes internal kidney problems and premature death. Feeding these fish to the point where they cant eat any more will kill them. I see them all the time at my lfs with a group of them tearing off each others tail. If there was a puffer that requires isolation, then these puffers are one of my top choices.

These Wild caught puffers are not adjusted to capticity. Try any dead or live worms and crustaceans. Eventually they will accept you as the feeder.

He lived with gourami's angel fish and guppies at the LFS and the owner (which I know very well) told me he never really bothered any one! I had seen him at the LFS for about 3 weeks and he got along with the gourami's and the guppies fine and the angels fine! And when I brought him home he was fine with the guppies and my gourami that I bought from there too!

Terrance said:

And plus he was raised with them!

Ryleyman said:
And plus he was raised with them!

I'm not an expert but from what I do know it won't stay peaceful very long. They are very aggressive fish (as stated above) they will usually kill tank mates.

Ljk09 said:
I'm not an expert but from what I do know it won't stay peaceful very long. They are very aggressive fish (as stated above) they will usually kill tank mates.
I don't really care if he kills some of my guppies my females give birth every few weeks and for my gourami he is like his best friend

Ryleyman said:
I don't really care if he kills some of my guppies my females give birth every few weeks and for my gourami he is like his best friend

Well then you get to deal with stress in the tank. The others may be frightened because they think they are food. When fish are stressed they are more susceptible to disease. So then you could worry about your whole tank dying off from sickness. In the end it's up to you.

Ljk09 said:
Well then you get to deal with stress in the tank. The others may be frightened because they think they are food. When fish are stressed they are more susceptible to disease. So then you could worry about your whole tank dying off from sickness. In the end it's up to you.

I'm not gonna starve him to even make him wanna kill the guppies! I feed them 2 times a day. I take it day by day my LFS said if you can't take care of him just bring him back

Keep up with the weekly 50% water changes. When i had my avocado, i only fed once daily until tummy is slightly rounded, even though i knew he could eat more.

Good luck with this fish. There is a fellow on youtube who keeps his avocado in a community tank. Its one of the few ocassions that i have seen one of these fish living peacefully with other fish. Sometime you jusy have to roll the dice and hope for the best.

Terrance said:
Keep up with the weekly 50% water changes. When i had my avocado, i only fed once daily until tummy is slightly rounded, even though i knew he could eat more.

Good luck with this fish. There is a fellow on youtube who keeps his avocado in a community tank. Its one of the few ocassions that i have seen one of these fish living peacefully with other fish. Sometime you jusy have to roll the dice and hope for the best.

Thanks and yes some times you have and you have to make mistakes to learn too!!

I kept mine in a community tank with roseline barbs, giant danios, a rainbow shark and zebra loaches. I fed the tank once a day. I never had any issues with aggression. Great little fish. Unfortunately, he passed away from unknown causes a few months back.

WYite

I gave my avocado to my brother's family. They decided to put him in a community tank and it killed every other fish in the tank in one night. Then they decided to put a south american puffer in the tank, which got killed instantly. This was a 2" avocado.

By the time of the avocado's death (grew to 3" over 2-3 months), I discovered they were overfeeding and did no water changes.

Terrance said:
I gave my avocado to my brother's family. They decided to put him in a community tank and it killed every other fish in the tank in one night. Then they decided to put a south american puffer in the tank, which got killed instantly. This was a 2" avocado.

By the time of the avocado's death (grew to 3" over 2-3 months), I discovered they were overfeeding and did no water changes.

Well then that's what caused it

I got some freeze dried blood worms and and 2 other types of worms not really sure what type

I have had fish for alot of years I have never found a typical fish if your puffer likes a community tank let him its all about balance of aggression I have had discus that live hiding for years and others so aggressive thay kill themselves headbutting the tank so play by ear

Back
Top Bottom