Fresh Water Vampire Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FSEMTB2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anybody heard of this species? Or does anyone have these in there tanks? I have been on my LFS to get some fresh water shrimp in, and on Friday they are getting these shrimp.

Ken

Ive never owned or seen one of these but..
I did a search on google and found some info..
the scientific name for the vampire shrimp is Atya gabonesis
according to the same source they get 6 inches long and are filter feeders..

My LFS had them at one time and they were really neat, but they were $20 each!! 8O

I have two of them and they are both a deep blue color and they are filter feeders (just like bamboo shrimp). They are called vampire shrimp because the first set of appendages after the filter feeding appendages are enlarged usually MUCH larger than the other legs and this first set of legs has points on the end (look sharp). This pair of legs is used by the shrimp to keep it in place in fast currents while it feeds. They are relatively easy to keep and I have not seen any problems with having them in peaceful community tanks (I don't know about chiclid tanks but I would think they wouldn't be good in there). They are relatively shy and like dark places (like under driftwood (updside down)). They will get around 6 inchs long and are peaceful.

Does anybody else find that sometimes the lfs mis-labels fish? I have noticed this a few times. I guess it is either lack of knowledge or wanting to upsell a type of fish. LOL, I am constantly suspicious of lfs's now.

Zagz said:
Does anybody else find that sometimes the lfs mis-labels fish?

Sometimes? With all but the best independant LFSes here, it is more like 20% of the time, especially at PetLand.

I have noticed this a few times. I guess it is either lack of knowledge or wanting to upsell a type of fish.

Usually the former....the latter tends to have them label iridescent sharks as growing to 6", clown knives that get to 10", and 'strictly vegetarian' pacus that get to 8".

I am constantly suspicious of lfs's now.

Welcome to the club...many of us have been for years, and nothing is making us less so.

well the petland here labels them pretty good. i havent found anything wrong yet. but as most of you know all petlands are owned by a different person. its sort of confusing

Back
Top Bottom