Freshwater 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler2354

Aquarium Advice Activist
My mom has a 55 gal boring tank with a couple fancy hippies and a Damarion mollie and a couple little goldfish. She doesn't want to get rid of them. What other cooler fish can I add to the tank? Angels, gouromi, some type of tetra?
Help!

Idk, fancy hippies would be awesome in a tank. Do they have a snorkel?

How about cory cats, cardinal tetras, single dwarf gourami, or if you want something really neat you could get a pair of aphysemion australe

Idk, fancy hippies would be awesome in a tank. Do they have a snorkel?

How about cory cats, cardinal tetras, single dwarf gourami, or if you want something really neat you could get a pair of aphysemion australe

What even constitutes a fancy hippie? Gold buckle berkenstoks? Gucci fanny pack??
A nice big gourami would look cool in there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So maybe one gouromi and some tetras? What about tiger or green barbs? Or a rainbow shark or Cory cats?

No tiger barbs..corys would be ok depending on substrate

Tigers and green barbs are a definite no. The same with the shark. There are some peaceful barbs but I cant remember which type they are.

Cory cats would be good.

Tigers and green barbs are a definite no. The same with the shark. There are some peaceful barbs but I cant remember which type they are.

Cory cats would be good.

Hexazona or pentazona barbs are a great community substitute for tigers. Also Odessa barbs are great and extremely active. Depending on your budget and selection? Rainbows are fun too

Is it cold water or tropical? Kinda confused about the goldfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The goldfish were thrown in there to start the cycle process and then mom didn't want to get rid of them of course. Eventually ill find a way to get them out

Is it tropical and what do you have at the bottom, gravel sand if it's gravel is it fine gravel, or sharp kind

Just asking as it'll help us to recommend fish

If it's very smooth fine gravel and tropical I would personally recommend a group I corys, 5-6 of them they all have different personalitys and are funny little fish, and with a group they will all school together, I love them and they are easy to look after,

Sent from my fish phone

And what about getting a tank for just the goldfish, trust me you'll start with one tank and want a million more, I started with a goldfish tank about 3-4 years ago now I've got 4 tanks and still want more,

Ignore the people that are taking the pee, there's always some

Sent from my fish phone

I'm the same way but with African cichlids.
Her substrate is a size above pea gravel. I had nothing to do with that, I would've used a smaller substrate. But that was her choice. I'm gonna try and change that when I can change the fish also

Yes I'd try and get the gravel changed if you can my goldfish used to get it stuck when there mouth got big enough to fit it, that was scary,

Sent from my fish phone

It's hard to think of types of fish when you need to lol, that's why I love corys so many different types and tuns of personality

Sent from my fish phone

This substrate she has now is way to big for any fish to get in it's mouth. Basically large smooth stones. Very hard to siphon out

I just got some cherry barbs and I love them you could do a descent size school

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom