Freshwater alage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xavier55

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am curious about the alage that is growing in my tank. I like the way it is growing on the driftwood is this good alage or bad?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1403629271480.jpg
    1403629271480.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 105
I dont think algae is good or bad per se, but more like its either wanted or unwanted (typically the later).
Id be careful though, algae tends to spread. You might like how it looks on that driftwood, but maybe not so much when its everywhere else.

it's going to spread like wildfire and you will hate it eventually. in my opinion, i would kill them right here and right now.

Thanks guys do you know what kind of alage it is?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank Algae

Hello xav...

Algae is a very good thing, under control. It filters the noxins from the tank water. As you said, it looks good in the tank. It's a very good supplement to a fish's diet.

Don't feed the fish too much, a little variety every couple of days is enough. Otherwise, you provide an environment for algae to thrive and it will cover just about anything that doesn't move.

Keep the water free of excess nutrients by removing and replacing half the water every week or so and add a floating plant like Anacharis, that takes in a lot of dissolved nutrients through it's leaves and this one gives off a chemical that most kinds of algae don't tolerate.

B

it's going to spread like wildfire and you will hate it eventually. in my opinion, i would kill them right here and right now.

It looks like Cladophora aegagropila, it likely will not spread like wildfire. It took me well over a year to get it to cover the driftwood in my 50 breeder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom