Freshwater angelfish Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stephen Rollins

Aquarium Advice Freak
I like angelfish and I'm wanting to add them to my community 60 gallon tank. I have read to either keep one or 3+.

I was thinking about just getting one but I don't know if he/ she would be lonely

What are some of your opinions?

I have only one in with various tetra some Molly and a few other. He is doing well. In the 4 months that i've had him he has grown about an inch (he is about 3.5 inches not including his fins).

smomus said:
I have only one in with various tetra some Molly and a few other. He is doing well. In the 4 months that i've had him he has grown about an inch (he is about 3.5 inches not including his fins).

Wow ok thanks for your help

Easier w one. U can get several babies, but they will pair off and start fighting sooner or later.

I guess the first answer to your question should of been another question! What all do u have in ur tank now?

aaronjohn20 said:
I guess the first answer to your question should of been another question! What all do u have in ur tank now?

Right now I only have 8 peppered Cory s

I an wanting to add

2 Bolivian rams
6 Roseline shake
6 conga tetras
And the 1 angle fish or two .... This is my question
1 starlight bristlenose pleco

Ive done quite a bit of research on all these fish and the should all get along

I'm just more curious about the angels. Because I've read that they can get mean. So I'm unsure if 1 is okay or 2

The younger they are, the more they prefer to be with others. It helps them feel more secure. I've raised them from nickle-size up and notice they tend to become more independent around quarter to half-dollar size. An adult is perfectly fine by themselves and probably prefers it that way with the exception of a mate.

Edit:

I also notice that temperaments vary, just like any other cichlid. Of the 10 nickle-sized I grew out, one was a bully to the other angels in the tank (the biggest one). The rest were very peaceful. Of the 4 that I kept (two pairs split between two tanks) one of them tried to assert himself to the male Bolivian Ram in there, but once the Ram got settled in, he turned the tables. No biting or anything, just posturing. I'm sure once the Angelfish gets fully grown, the Ram may think different though, hehe.

In the other tank, the two angelfish go in the Ram's cave and eat with them. They all hang out together with no aggression. It's completely different than my 55G that has more floor space, which is odd.

Zevyn said:
The younger they are, the more they prefer to be with others. It helps them feel more secure. I've raised them from nickle-size up and notice they tend to become more independent around quarter to half-dollar size. An adult is perfectly fine by themselves and probably prefers it that way with the exception of a mate.

If I were to get one as a baby do you think he/she would be okay ?

If I were to get one as a baby do you think he/she would be okay ?

I would try to stick to quarter size or larger, which are still quite juvenile, but they're not so small that they'd get picked on. I've never seen them under a quarter in the LFS around here anyway. Or are you trying to buy pre-dimes off aquabid?

Zevyn said:
I would try to stick to quarter size or larger, which are still quite juvenile, but they're not so small that they'd get picked on. I've never seen them under a quarter in the LFS around here anyway. Or are you trying to buy pre-dimes off aquabid?

No I seen some at PetSmart here's a pic of what they had maybe quarter size

I started my tank with just one large angle in it, about a month ago I brought another angle which was also a girl. They both seem very happy at the moment and I haven't seen any aggression towards each other or another fish

Erin Sarah said:
I started my tank with just one large angle in it, about a month ago I brought another angle which was also a girl. They both seem very happy at the moment and I haven't seen any aggression towards each other or another fish

That's some food info thank you

Erin Sarah said:

How do you know they are female?

smomus said:
How do you know they are female?

I am 80% sure they are females by looking at them and then seeing the both of them lay eggs was another sign

They both don't lay eggs, only one lays eggs and the other fertilizes them (male). I have 12 for over 2 yrs and can't tell them apart just by "looking at them". Hope the eggs hatch.

They both don't lay eggs, only one lays eggs and the other fertilizes them (male). I have 12 for over 2 yrs and can't tell them apart just by "looking at them". Hope the eggs hatch.

If they both laid eggs, then you can tell they are both females. ;)

I agree though, you cannot tell just by looking at an angel. Close to spawning you can tell by their breeding tubes (females look like an eraser and males look pointy). That's the best I can describe it. :)

Got my angle fish yesterday :) my wife picked him/ her out

Just did a water change sorry for the cloudy water. Lol

Back
Top Bottom