Freshwater Barracuda Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteShark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a few questions about freshwater barracudas as they have captured my interests. I've read a lot of information that has been all over the spectrum.

Are they aggressive?
Can they live with other fish?
Will they thrive in a 30g tall tank?
What do they eat?
Any other special care?
What CANT they live with?
Are they active?

Sent from my iPhone

From what I read, they're super skittish. They can live with other predatory fish such as pictus cats or bucktooth tetras. I would not advise a tall tank as they prefer a long tank to swim around a lot. They should be fed ghost shrimp or some other live food at first.

Could they live in a peaceful tank? (Tetras, gouramis, loaches)

Sent from my iPhone

As bettaowner said, you need a much larger and longer tank than a 30g tall. And once you got the larger tank, smaller tetras would probably be a bad idea.

You may also want to check if they are legal to own, I know in some states they aren't. Other than that I couldn't tell you much about them sorry!

Alright thanks guys! I might go with a Celebes Halfbeak instead.

Sent from my iPhone

Which species are you looking at? There are several fish labeled as Freshwater Barracuda.

A 30g Tall will not be good for them, they need a large planted tank. All of the species I know of are ambush predators. They are not a community fish.

Back
Top Bottom