Freshwater Betta in saltwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabellarosas15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have been thinking about this all day. I have three betta fish in their own small tanks all happy and healthy and I have one saltwater 20 gallon tank. I was wondering since people put salt in the betta fishes water when they get sick or to keep them from getting sick ( I do this myself ) would it be possible to keep a Betta in a saltwater tank with other saltwater fish for a short amount of time like 5-7 days? ( in no way am I thinking of doing this myself so don't get worried)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No! When medicating with salt, it is a smaller dosage. And if it was possible, it would take forever to acclimate the betta.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Unless you WANT to slowly and painfully kill your betas, then no don't do it lol :)

Nils

I was just curious about the idea. I was not planning on doing it at all so don't freak out

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A little salt in a freshwater aquarium is a totally different thing than the amount of salt that exists in a saltwater aquarium. I think were talking maybe 35 times the amount more or less depending on the dosage people are using. Mollies will acclimate to salt water pretty readily, call it over the course of a day, guppies can do it if you take a week or so. I've done both with no obvious problems. As tough as bettas are, I'd never subject them to that.

Back
Top Bottom