Freshwater Chats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is there enough interest in freshwater chat?

• Yes please create our own room

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dont mind sharing a room with salty aquarists

• Chat? Why would I want to chat about fish

• Total voters
I would be happy just figuring out how to get into the existing chat room.

You can enter chat via the chat link in the navbar at the top of each page of the site. It will open a java appelet (when it asks if you want to install the appelet, you must say yes, you must also have java installed on your computer, Win XP does not come with it...at least older versions don't, mine did) and connect to our IRC chat room.

If you connect to IRC through another client like mIRC or Trillian use the following settings:
Port: 6667
Server: irc.webchat.org
Channel: #aquariumadvice

I did not actually read this thread, shame on me, but I feel that the chat is dead enough most nights that any questions will get answered promptly. Any more splitting and there will be virtually no chat.

Chat is not necessarily (although questions are more than welcome) about answering questions. It's about getting to know one another and creating friendships, as well as answering questions.

Thank you reefrunner69 for your help.

If what RogerMcAllen is saying is correct - then I guess I would have to say that I would prefer some chat over no chat at all.

Basically you have a core group of 8-10 people that hang out in chat almost 7 nites per week...we have said it all to each other, so unless someone new comes in, r something exciting happened in our day or fish tanks, etc...it is pretty quiet. When people come in and talk...they usually get a response fairly quickly.

I'd say count me in for the separate FW chat room. I haven't had the chance to check out the chat area of this website yet, but I plan to in the near future.

For those of you who have not participated or tried the chat out please do so. its fun to get to know members on another level.

The freshwater aspect of this website has really taken off in the last 6 months but I have to say it has the poorest representation in chat.

Just yesterday I had to turn to people who wanted to chat freshwater away in chat because there where no freshwater folks there.

that's a bummer man

I agree about the freshies not liking to chat ... almost all the time it is sw people, wether it be regulars or new visitors.

come on fw folks - that chat button at the top of the screen works for fw as well as sw :)

I try to make it its good to hear about any aquaria being practiced correctley in any form. I wish more freshwater people would show as well. As much as I enjoy hearing about they different shapes of clam shells a little chatter on cichlids would be good too! FF don't turn them away tell em if they chat we will come! They can also e-mail me and kick my butt to get on I would like chat to take off on the freshwater team Scottw68@bellsouth.net Just have em put in the message field " Go to AA NOW". If it takes a special night to get it going I would be all for that too.

I popped in to the chat room for the first time the other night and it was totally cool, full of friendly folks. I guess, since I'm just an "Apprentice," I couldn't distinguish too much if people were talking about SW stuff because I know zero about that subject! I do agree with some others here about the merits of a separate FW chat, but it is also fun to chat with just everyone in general. So I guess I'm lame because I'm just on the fence on this :?

Im not sure people are aware of this so Im gonna post here just in case.

At this point in time we have 3 chat rooms available. 8O

The standard room is titled aquariumadvice just like our site. I also created a frehwater room while back that room is titled frehswaterchat. Not many people come into freshwaterchat and right now I tend to forward those folks that do to the main room simply because there are more people hanging out in the main room than the satillite room.

All we need are a few FW regulars in freshwaterchat to make it just as popular as the aquariumadvice room.

I like the idea of the main room with satellite specialty rooms so we can see where there are the most people at a given time, if you want to chat fw and there are folks in that room great but if it's a slow time you can still hang out in the main room - I've never been but I'll definitely check it out now that I know it's around.

WHO is in chat?

Since I frequent IRC thru mirc, I went and peekeed a couple of times. dead at 8pm PST, dead at 1am PST, dead at 930 amPST.

I haven't bothered with a specific room yet.
When is al the chataphiles in da house?

the room #aquariumadvice often has people in the evenings. most of us are working during the day and while some of us are in the room at almost all waking hours we might not be at the computer at that specific time.

The room #freshwaterchat is more of an overflow room or should someone want to start up a structured freshwaterchat sometime that room is there for your use.

I would like to chat too but all this computer talk has confused me... don't ya just press some button that sais chat? or is it really complicated - gotta install stuff stuff?
And how do you put those little faces on everything? I wanna do that too, it would help me express my confusion over what seems like everthing.

You should make different chat rooms, one for saltwater, one for freshwater, one for general discussion.

I think there is a problem with the chat options...

Irc like saltwater has a high learning curve. and Java is a monster to my computer. so the aplett kills my computers performance. It took me months to learn how to use irc and its taking me a while to get it to work again.. reopening the ports in new firewalls and such.. yahoo chat would be easier... I think that could have more problems than solutions though..

I personally used to use yahoo chat back when yahoo groups where the big thing on the net. Yahoo chat back then had horrible latency issues as well as other performance problems. Yahoo chat i belive also required a yahoo messanger ID and those whom dont have YIM may not be willing to signup for yet another messenger resource just to chat fish.

I think the key is that those whom want to chat will do what it takes, within reason, to be able to chat. Those whom dont want to chat wont regarless of how easy you make it. Prior to XP java wasnt that big of a deal on 2k or 98 or ME. With XP MS took out sun java support in favor of their own java implementation so the result is sun java requires an applet to be running in system memory that can slow down overall performance if ones system is already low on memory.

Back
Top Bottom