Freshwater Chats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is there enough interest in freshwater chat?

• Yes please create our own room

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dont mind sharing a room with salty aquarists

• Chat? Why would I want to chat about fish

• Total voters

justDIY

Aquarium Advice Addict
greetings fellow freshwater aquarists... you know this website / forum has a chat channel right?

How about some form of loosely organized chat about freshwater aquaria (brackish included)

What do you think?

Sunday is the 'chat day' for the site in general, we could have it then and try to muscle out the salties ... or if a different day is better, suggest it here.

I'm on the chat most evenings, but it's usually just little ol me trying to keep up with salties talking about their rocks and corals and stuff!

Even if you feel you might not have anything to contribute, it would be great to have you online anyway... I'm sure we can find plenty of things to discuss and knowledge to share.

Heh, had no idea. Is it a java based chat? IM type? Or am I able to use an IRC program (if so, whats the server/ports)?

yes, there is a java based interface (the chat button on the sites toolbar)

or I think the server is irc.webchat.org, port 6667, channel #aquariumadvice

If you people start to take over our regular channel ill create you a freshwater channel. :)

You mean you haven't made one already? Chop Chop there man! They are ready and willing to chat about FW He he he..... :D

Our intent when we started the site was to have chat nights for freshwater, saltwater and other toipcs. kind of like Monday, Wed, Fri is freshwater Sun, Tues, Thurs is salt and Sat is open chat.

I tried going in the chat and it said "Catalina" was already in use? I mean, I could just pick another name, but I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong. I want to chat. I have lots of questions for you wise people, even if I might not be full of advice yet.

Someone is already using the name Catalina on the IRC, try adding some numbers to it, like the year you were born ;)

ok, i will do that. but why is someone already using catalina? that is MY name.

I'm all for it, just post which night and I'll adjust it to the Aussie night :wink:

I've checked the chat room but no-one was home, hope to join in the discussions soon.

Louise
littlelouie

it is someone elses name as well, and they beat you to it online ... adding any numbers even like your zip or area code will work, if you don't want to use your birth year

that is MY name

IRC is a big place, I assure you, no one in our chat room is using your name, but someone on IRC is already using it somewhere, and most likely has it registered. I have the name reefrunner registered, so anyone that trys to sign on with that nae, even if I'm not on IRC, cannot use that name ;)

We do not run a private IRC chat server for this site. So we use a global IRC chat server irc.webchat.org to be exact. This server has thousands of channels (aka rooms) and tens of thousands of users. As Kevin said one of those users was online last night in some other channel when you tried to connect. This is why you could not use your name that you have registered here.

Changing to Catalina1 when you enter the chat room is all that might be required to get a unique name that is not used. If that does not work then add a 2 on the end, etc.

Woops. The quick reply box and me not seeing page two.

Thats why my comments are simply a repeat of everyone else above. :oops:

Hey guys, just had to put my two cents in. I think it would be great to have a separate FW channel. Then those of us who are still new to the aquaria hobby can get lots of information and chat and then if or when we get started doing SW we can go to the other channel to learn and chat. Plus, we won't be stepping on each others toes, or fins...so to speak :D .
Thanks for listening.

Cherry Barb, i am very excited about our recent surge in chat popularity. So as we can get feed back from more people I put a poll on this topic. Please everyone who is remotely interested in voicing an opintion on if we should have a freshwater chat room or not vote so we can do what the majority of you want.

I have mixed feelings about this. I like hangin' with the whole gang, the banter can be pretty good. OTOH, sometimes there are several reef/fresh things going on, and it's hard to keep up.

I too enjoy participating in a general channel - as opposed to having it segragated.

Although maybe aa-bot could hold some extra channels open, for people to move into should they need a separate place to converse on a topic other than what is being discussed in the main channel...

this could benefit both saltwater and freshwater users, because a lot of times, the main channel is not discussing either, but usually some topic not even aquaria related!

I'm pretty new to this site but I would enjoy a chat room just for FW chat. Who am I trying to kid - I would be happy just figuring out how to get into the existing chat room. Once I do though, I will join you along with the Salties.

Back
Top Bottom