Freshwater clam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J1Time

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have some of these currently or had them in past? Thoughts on them. Just stumbled across them on the web and seem like neat little creatures.

I usually have them with lemon ;)

I think that keeping them fed could be challenging. They won't chase a pellet or flake, so you'll need a constant "cloud" of food floating around for the clam to pull out of the water.

I always wanted some but with some research I realized that it isn't really feasible to keep alive in a freshwater aquarium.

I was also interested and did research not good for fish tanks at all. If they die in your tank they can pollute the water so quickly it will kill other fish. Also if they happen to breed the off spring are free floating and parasitic and will attache to fish gills until the shell hardens and they fall off. Since the fish are in an enclosed system all the offspring go to a few fish as opposed to the wild where they are dispersed among many fish. This cause extreme irritation for the fish and makes it hard to breath.

Back
Top Bottom