Freshwater Clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want cardinal shrimp but i can imagine how much they cost.
those are about a half inch big and require very specific water.
Well, I just found out that 80* is too hot for the bees, so they are a no go. *sigh* oh well! I don't think my loaches could fit the shrimp in their mouths?
I did just fall in love with the blue tiger shrimp, so I am going to see how much they are. :)
most of the dwarf shrimp wont be the best idea with your set up. true blue tigers are also not cheap.
Hmm, I will have to check them out. Although there were some other shrimp that looked really neat I saw on another post. On the "Shrimp Tree" one. They were really neat looking!
Is there anything special I would need to do before I got them? Or do I need to get them special food, or do they just eat the leftovers? (Which isn't TOO much because of the loaches. It's crazy town in my tank at feeding time LOL. But since I had an overabundance of MT snails, there must be something! ;)
crystal red shrimp again like the cooler water. maybe you just need some more snails lol

Well dang....I think between the assassins, mts and mystery snails, I have plenty haha!
Cancel the shrimp....Maybe when I move to the Seattle area, there will be more options. :)
Thanks for your help.

get a bigger tank lol problem solved lol.... you move the stuff out of the 20 gallon and make it a shrimp tank.

No way! I love my community! They are funny. BUT, when I move, I am going to set the 75 back up, and who knows what will go in there? LOL. I have 4 tanks up and running right now, and my house is crowded enough. ;)

I like clams.

I think they die because they run out of food in a well cared for tank.

But they only die after they've cleaned out every last bit of water they can filter in your tank. I say, hey... gotta respect that kind of commitment!

and, I've never had water so clear and clean as when I've had clams. Maybe it's just me. (and probably is... because they're not readily available!)

Wait. So you think clear (ala ghost) shrimp are creepy, but a giant tongue in a box isn't? I'm baffled.

I think the clams sound interesting in general. However, I can barely keep my fish alive, much less a high maintenance creature. I wish I were more skilled at not killing fish, LOL!

The ghost shrimp creep me out, too. Well, to be honest, all the shrimp do. I think it's because they look like cockroaches to me when there's a whole tank of them scuttling around. I have a panic=level phobia of roaches, so I don't think I'd be the best Mom for shrimp.

You mentioned that you don't eat shellfish or fish... I don't eat fish either. I've never liked the taste of fish; I've never had any kind of fish that I've enjoyed, no matter how it's prepared. I love shellfish, though.

I used to catch trout and eat it, but I just can't do it anymore. I can't even go to my parents when they are having fish, or I start gagging. YUCK! And I have just never liked shellfish, it tastes just like the ocean.

There were always loads of clams in the lakes I swam in as a kid, and I always had a (probably) irrational fear of them clamping onto my feet or something.

I can see not liking shrimp either though. Picked up some yesterday and one of them jumped on the girl's arm as she was putting them in the bag. Funny to me, but I guess the shriek indicated she didn't find it all that humorous.

Crawdad's always freaked me out when I was swimming, and I would NEVER put my feet down when I was by the rocks! Did you know you can herd crawdad's with a flashlight at night?

Crawdad's always freaked me out when I was swimming, and I would NEVER put my feet down when I was by the rocks! Did you know you can herd crawdad's with a flashlight at night?

I can't stand crawdads! Especially because when I usually see them they are already dead from not getting back to water soon enough, and they are all blue colored. And I've seen some pretty (really freaking) long crawdad tunnels. My dad and I tried hosing one once, and after 3 hours, there was still no water coming out our end. Something with claws capable of that has no place in my backyard! :bad-words:

Back
Top Bottom