Freshwater Clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have any experiences with freshwater clams in their tank? I like to try to find some different inhabitants for my tank, i believe they need a finer or sand like substrate so that may rule them out right there but in December/early January i will be gifted a 145g tank so i am looking around for things that you normally dont see in the "average" tank setup.

Any comments on care/diffculty/acclimation/agression/anything would be appriciated.

-Pleco

They really should have sand or very nice gravel, and you do not want the tank water too pristine, as they are filter-feeders, and without nutrients floating about in the water column, they tend to starve.

Clams are generally the first species to die due to environmental factors. They are very touchy about their environment. I don't really think it would be worth doing.

If they are touch,y then mine would be dead :/

Seriously, I have 2 of them in my 75, I never see them...well rarely, tehy dont stay above the substrate like saltwter, tehy are always buried, and move around underneathte sand. They are a nifty little addition though , at times I see their fulters stickin out the substrate. Dont know of anything other than puffers that would bother them either.

Jarred Darque said:
If they are touch,y then mine would be dead :/

Seriously, I have 2 of them in my 75, I never see them...well rarely, tehy dont stay above the substrate like saltwter, tehy are always buried, and move around underneathte sand. They are a nifty little addition though , at times I see their fulters stickin out the substrate. Dont know of anything other than puffers that would bother them either.

May i ask where you bought yours and how much they costed you?

I bought mine from liveaquaria.com, dont think they cost me more than like 2 bucks each.

What avbout goldfish. I thought of getting some for my tank.. Do you think goldfish would bother them?

Back
Top Bottom