Freshwater cycling journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CaptainMako said:
I already checked with API's website, and some actual AA members who used it, both insist neither of the meds effect the biological filter.
What I am asking is if that extra water change the meds need will effect my cycling at all.

I may have lost a day on pimafix, but I think I started it last Thursday or Wednesday. Started melafix last night, so they will end on different days. Should I just take both to next Thursday and that should finish it up?

The water changes will not effect your cycle much if any at all. I don't know though about the pwc's effecting the meds.

You're gonna need to learn about meds from someone with experience with them...I've never had to use them. I'd just do exactly what it says in the instructions and not deviate from that.

I should be fine, because the water change is at the end of the instructed regiment.

One extra day on the pimafix should be fine, it's not a potent medication so it shouldn't matter. Better safe than sorry.
Does it really matter what time I do my readings every day, just so long as I do it with enough time to do a PWC before the day is over, if necessary?

CaptainMako said:
I should be fine, because the water change is at the end of the instructed regiment.

One extra day on the pimafix should be fine, it's not a potent medication so it shouldn't matter. Better safe than sorry.
Does it really matter what time I do my readings every day, just so long as I do it with enough time to do a PWC before the day is over, if necessary?

When and how often you test and do pwc's depends on your individual tank and where you are in your cycle. There's no one size fits all answer. You're just gonna have to get a feel for how fast your levels are rising, and test and change water accordingly.

CaptainMako said:
Allrighty, I will keep that on hand. I'm gonna go run some errands and then I will take some readings.
Thanks again!

No problem. I'm sure it'll work out fine. Just follow the guide I linked (it's the best one out there about cycling with fish) and dose your meds as instructed on the box after the pwc's. Good luck!

Test 2

May 7th, 2011
  • These readings were taken before any water changes today and before the tank's dose of Pimafix and Melafix.
Ammonia: Close to 0.25 ppm
Nitrites: A very slight bit above 0.00 ppm
Nitrates: Either 10.0 or 20.0 ppm, appears to be darker so most likely 20.0 ppm.

Compared to Test 1: Ammonia a little lower than before, Nitrites considerably less than before, Nitrates about half of the before amount.

Action to be taken: Water change this evening, followed by the tank's dosage of Pimafix and Melafix. Secondary readings to be taken approximately 1 hour after the water change. Water change volume to be determined.

Test 3

May 7th, 2011
  • These readings were taken a while after a 50% water change and after the tank's dose of Pimafix and Melafix.
Ammonia: 0.00 ppm
Nitrites: 0.00 ppm
Nitrates: 5.0 ppm

Compared to Test 2: Ammonia considerably less than before, Nitrites the same (zero), Nitrates about a quarter of the before amount.

Action to be taken: More testing tomorrow.

CaptainMako said:
What do you guys think so far? :D

You've got to forgive me, but I get people's water parameters mixed up...sorry :-(. If you've been battling ammo and no2 spikes (which I think you have been) and now they're consistently showing 0's with some level of nitrAtes...cycled!!! Don't jump the gun though, keep testing every day and watch for any ammo spikes and do pwc's as you have been doing. Keep dosing the meds for the full time regardless of how the fish look or whatever happens to the levels. Seems like you're getting this thing well under control :)

You've got to forgive me, but I get people's water parameters mixed up...sorry :-(. If you've been battling ammo and no2 spikes (which I think you have been) and now they're consistently showing 0's with some level of nitrAtes...cycled!!! Don't jump the gun though, keep testing every day and watch for any ammo spikes and do pwc's as you have been doing. Keep dosing the meds for the full time regardless of how the fish look or whatever happens to the levels. Seems like you're getting this thing well under control :)

Thanks!
I'm not sure where I am, not necessarily sure I have hit spikes, but I hope I am almost done with this. :)

Ammonia: 0.00 ppm
Nitrates: 5.0 ppm

Nitrates are still a bit low for a cycled tank. Sounds like you're keeping things well under control and healthy for the fishies, but it's hard to say where you are in the cycle until you complete the med cycle and see that 0-0-x pattern further after the last medication related water change.

I'll keep doing two tests a day. One in the morning hours before water changes or medication, and another a while after medicating.

Test 4

May 8th, 2011
  • These readings were taken before any water changes today and before the tank's dose of Pimafix and Melafix.
Ammonia: Close to 0.25 ppm
Nitrates: 10.0 ppm

Compared to Test 3: Ammonia greater than before, Nitrites remain the same (zero), Nitrates greater than before

Action to be taken: Water change this evening, followed by the tank's dose of Pimafix and Melafix. More testing to be done a while after the medication has settled.

Have you tested yet today? IMO the 5ppm of no3 is not too low to signify your tank is cycled due to the fact you've been doing 50% pwc's daily. That would keep the nitrAte level low. I'm interested to hear your results and see if you're seeing any ammo or no2.

Whoops...you posted them as I was typing.

There you have it. I'll do another 50% water change tonight.
Would I just keep testing and doing 50% changes daily until I get 0 ammo and 0 nitrite repeatedly for the next few days?

Also, I have that API Ammo-lock stuff, it detoxifies ammonia instantly. I don't know if I should delve into it though, things seem to be going fine how I'm doing them.

CaptainMako said:
There you have it. I'll do another 50% water change tonight.
Would I just keep testing and doing 50% changes daily until I get 0 ammo and 0 nitrite repeatedly for the next few days?

Also, I have that API Ammo-lock stuff, it detoxifies ammonia instantly. I don't know if I should delve into it though, things seem to be going fine how I'm doing them.

Yep. I'd keep doing what you've been doing. Monitor the ammo and no2 levels and perform pwc's as necessary. If you're seeing constant 0 ammo and 0 no2 that signifies that you're cycled...but since you're dosing meds and performing so many pwc's, I don't think it's safe to assume anything at this point until after the medication regiment is completed. The .25 ammo either means you're not cycled, or it's the chloramines in the water that haven't been converted yet by the bio-filter. Better safe than sorry and continue what you're doing.

I wouldn't worry about the ammo-lock. It's not going to achieve anything you're not already doing with pwc's.

So even if I keep getting zeros across and with a nitrate spike before the regiment is done, I should keep watching for a few days even after the meds are done? And so long as I retain those zeros when finished, I should be cycled?

CaptainMako said:
So even if I keep getting zeros across and with a nitrate spike before the regiment is done, I should keep watching for a few days even after the meds are done? And so long as I retain those zeros when finished, I should be cycled?

In theory...but there are too many variables in this case to assume anything. The .25 ammo is a cause for concern and seems to show the cycle is not done...but I wouldn't know where the no2 has gone (a pwc wouldn't have reduced it to 0). Later today, test before your next pwc and see if the ammo has gone to 0 or if the no2 has risen, that should tell us where you are.

Back
Top Bottom