Freshwater cycling journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Test 8

May 10th, 2011
  • These readings were taken before any water changes today and before the tank's dose of Pimafix and Melafix.
  • No action was taken yesterday in an attempt to see what the bacteria colony.
Ammonia: Around 0.25 ppm, seems less
Nitrites: 0.00 ppm
Nitrates: 10.0 ppm

Compared to Test 6: Ammonia remains the same (0.25), Nitrites remain the same (zero), Nitrates greater

Action to be taken: Dose tank with Prime this morning, then test again later tonight. Levels will determine whether or not a water change is necessary.

CaptainMako said:
I know nothing can be certain until the meds are done, but what do the consistent zero readings for nitrites mean?

I think it means good news. Do me a favor, next time you test ammo..walk around the house with the test tube and hold it up to different white surfaces, hold it up to the window, up to the light, etc... See if you can tell for certain whether it's .25 or 0. I think all of us here have a hard time telling the ammo level with the API kit. If you skipped the last PWC and the ammo appeared to have gone down...that's good news ;-)

Test 9

May 10th, 2011
  • These readings were taken before any water changes today and before the tank's dose of Pimafix and Melafix, however, Prime was added this morning.
Ammonia: 0.25 (Both times)
Nitrates: 10.0 ppm

Compared to Test 6: Ammonia remains the same (0.25), Nitrites remain the same (zero), Nitrates greater than before

Action to be taken: Water change followed by the tank's dose of Pimafix and Melafix. Secondary tests will not be taken tonight.

Test 10

May 11th, 2011
  • These readings were taken before any water changes today and before the tank's dose of Pimafix and Melafix.
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrates: 5.0 ppm

Compared to Test 9: Ammonia remains the same (0.25), Nitrites remain the same (zero), Nitrates less than before

Action to be taken: Dose of Prime followed by the tank's dose of Pimafix and Melafix.

Are you 100% certain the ammo is .25 and not 0? I'm fully cycled and it always looks like .25 even though it's not. I think you're cycled. As soon as you finish the meds...stop doing pwc's and just test every day to see if ammo climbs. I don't think it will...I think you're cycled :)

Are you 100% certain the ammo is .25 and not 0? I'm fully cycled and it always looks like .25 even though it's not. I think you're cycled. As soon as you finish the meds...stop doing pwc's and just test every day to see if ammo climbs. I don't think it will...I think you're cycled :)
+1
I also think that you are at 0, some times the chart in the master kit is a liitle off.

Test 11

May 12th, 2011
  • These readings were taken before any water changes today and before the tank's dose of Pimafix and Melafix, however, not even Prime was added this morning.
Ammonia: (In direct light) Not 0.00 ppm but not 0.25 ppm.
Nitrates: 5.0 ppm

Compared to Test 6: Ammonia close to the same (0.25), Nitrites remain the same (zero), Nitrates the same as before (5.0)

Action to be taken: Dose of Prime followed by the tank's dose of Pimafix and Melafix.

It's starting to look like I'm cycled to me even. I'll do the water change that the medication calls for tomorrow but just continue to test after, and keep you guys posted.
Also, which do you think I am really getting, 0.00 or 0.25 ppm for ammonia? Should I be using direct light or not to tell? Again, with direct light it looks like 0.25, but without it looks like 0.

CaptainMako said:
It's starting to look like I'm cycled to me even. I'll do the water change that the medication calls for tomorrow but just continue to test after, and keep you guys posted.
Also, which do you think I am really getting, 0.00 or 0.25 ppm for ammonia? Should I be using direct light or not to tell? Again, with direct light it looks like 0.25, but without it looks like 0.

It's 0...I guarantee it. It always looks like it has a slight green tinge. That's why lots of us hated when they changed the API kit. Judging by all the evidence and following all your posts...you're cycled. Congrats. Just keep an eye on it for a while after the meds and keep us posted :)

Great! :)
The final dose is tonight, or maybe it was last night, I space on the directions. Either way it requires a decent water change to wrap up the medication.
I will keep monitoring the levels and posting them here, but a few things:
1) How many days should I test the water before I can close the case?

2) I want to put different objects in the tank and not ruin what I have so far, how would I do that? I don't know if just placing it in the tank for a few days would cause the bacteria to grow on it.

3) The fish look great in health, I think they are cured. Would I be able to add fish, as originally planned, after the cautionary few days of water testing is over.

Just an update.
Did a test last night, but I spaced on it and the colors faded. Regardless, they still look like the regular 0 ammo, 0 nitrite and low nitrates.
I will keep testing and doing water changes if it needs it, but maybe next Friday I will add some fish. I can't make my mind up so I will just choose a species and then a variety when I get there.

Two more things in addition to the other questions.

4) I'm starting to use incense in the room the tank is in, will this harm my fish?

5) My water is repeatedly cloudy even after small water changes. Is this a result of a bacteria bloom or what? If so, I still don't understand.

Answer the others if you can, thanks again!

CaptainMako said:
Great! :)
The final dose is tonight, or maybe it was last night, I space on the directions. Either way it requires a decent water change to wrap up the medication.
I will keep monitoring the levels and posting them here, but a few things:
1) How many days should I test the water before I can close the case?

2) I want to put different objects in the tank and not ruin what I have so far, how would I do that? I don't know if just placing it in the tank for a few days would cause the bacteria to grow on it.

3) The fish look great in health, I think they are cured. Would I be able to add fish, as originally planned, after the cautionary few days of water testing is over.

Hi Mako

1- I test twice a week. Once on Tuesday and once on Friday (pwc and cleaning day). If I make any changes to the tank like removing deco, changing any media, etc... I test daily to make sure I don't see any rise in ammo.

2- As long as the items are clean, adding items will not hurt. Since you recently finished your cycle, I would recommend against removing anything for the next couple weeks to make sure your bacteria is established. When you do take items out, do it slowly...don't pull everything out at once.

3- VERY slowly! Your tank is delicately balanced since it just finished cycling. Adding too many fish too quickly will put you right back where you were. I would also look into fishless cycling a small tank to use as a quarantine to avoid the illnesses like you just experienced before you start stocking again.

CaptainMako said:
Just an update.
Did a test last night, but I spaced on it and the colors faded. Regardless, they still look like the regular 0 ammo, 0 nitrite and low nitrates.
I will keep testing and doing water changes if it needs it, but maybe next Friday I will add some fish. I can't make my mind up so I will just choose a species and then a variety when I get there.

Two more things in addition to the other questions.

4) I'm starting to use incense in the room the tank is in, will this harm my fish?

5) My water is repeatedly cloudy even after small water changes. Is this a result of a bacteria bloom or what? If so, I still don't understand.

Answer the others if you can, thanks again!

4- I have absolutely no idea

5- it could be part of a bacterial bloom as the bacteria level is still adjusting (especially if it's milky looking). I would wait it out for a while and start looking into other causes if it continues.

3- VERY slowly! Your tank is delicately balanced since it just finished cycling. Adding too many fish too quickly will put you right back where you were. I would also look into fishless cycling a small tank to use as a quarantine to avoid the illnesses like you just experienced before you start stocking again.
I second that. You don't want to go right back to where you were with the sick fish again. Fish store fish are often very stressed and get sick easily. You have that 1 gallon still? Use some gravel or dirty filter media from your cycled tank to kickstart things, and start feeding it like there's a couple fish in there. Once you see a full cycle, or a rise in nitrates without observable ammonia or nitrites, then buy 2-3 new fish, keep them in there for several weeks, and if all is well transfer them to the big tank and pick out your next addition for the QT. I was on the cautious side and QT my new fish for 6 weeks, but I had a 75 gallon tank that would be super annoying to treat illness in if I let pathogens into the tank.

They've also got a 10 gallon tank at Petco for $12 right now. You'd have to buy a cheap light and filter, but it'd make for a great QT and hospital tank. When the QT isn't running, you stick the small filter on your main tank and let it get seeded. Then when you need a QT you just pop it on the small tank and voila! Instant cycled tank.

I'll keep that in mind.
Levels are looking pretty good so far, I'm doing a 30 or so percent water change tonight to try and get into the rhythm of it.

Back
Top Bottom