Freshwater eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I would love to have an eel in my tank! It's a 55 gallon semi-aggressive tank! I'm doing a fishless cycle right now but I wanted to get my stock list completed! Which eel is best for a 55 gallon???

A peacock eel would do best in a 55, but I'm pretty sure they need peaceful tank mates.

I've kept a peacock eel with tiger barbs and it was fine. but i am no expert. Just my 2 cents.

Oh ok, well the stock I want is

1 rainbow shark
2 angelfish
8 black kuhli loaches
6 ottos
1 bristle nose pleco
1 peacock eel

And maybe a couple of these tetras

Silver-tip tetra
Bloodfin tetras
Red-eye tetras
Serpae tetras

I haven't decided which ones yet though!

Oh ok, well the stock I want is

1 rainbow shark
2 angelfish
8 black kuhli loaches
6 ottos
1 bristle nose pleco
1 peacock eel

And maybe a couple of these tetras

Silver-tip tetra
Bloodfin tetras
Red-eye tetras
Serpae tetras

I haven't decided which ones yet though!

I wouldn't do serpae tetras with angelfish, they will most likely nip the angels fins a lot. Same may be true with the others you listed but I can't remember.

I wouldn't do serpae tetras with angelfish, they will most likely nip the angels fins a lot. Same may be true with the others you listed but I can't remember.

Ah ok. Do you know any other kinds of fish that won't nip the Angela???

There's many that are compatible with angels, if you do decide to go with a fish that can be "nippy" just make sure that you get a large enough school, like 10 or more. Sometimes this can help keep aggression within the school. With mine I have glow light tetras, loaches, rams, shrimp and swordtails. The swords have been great in my tank(2m:5f), I know they sound uninteresting but they could care less about their tank mates and their tank mates could care less about them and when the give birth the angels get a healthy little snack haha, that sounds cruel but that's nature

A peacock eel would be fine for that set up and stock list. I had mine with even more aggressive fish when I had one.

There's many that are compatible with angels, if you do decide to go with a fish that can be "nippy" just make sure that you get a large enough school, like 10 or more. Sometimes this can help keep aggression within the school. With mine I have glow light tetras, loaches, rams, shrimp and swordtails. The swords have been great in my tank(2m:5f), I know they sound uninteresting but they could care less about their tank mates and their tank mates could care less about them and when the give birth the angels get a healthy little snack haha, that sounds cruel but that's nature

Ah ok! Ill check them out!

Back
Top Bottom