Freshwater Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gollum777

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do freshwater filters carry bacteria on them like saltwater filters do?? Dont know if I should just rinse it away or toss it. I have a 10 gallon tank

Yes they have beneficial bacteria. You should rinse it in old tank water to clean it without killing the bacteria.

I concur. Also, I raise crayfish and have a lot of 4" pvc sections. I have the extras in a 10gal established tank with a few Least Killies. When I cycle a new tank or prep a new filter, I use the pvc as a transfer agent for bacteria.

I wouldn't rinse any of the elements under the tap, as all elements are bio media even if their primary function is mechanical. As well, the elements, especially foam, require more than rinsing to clean them, They require vigorous squeezing in tank water.

IF you do have a mess up like forgetting to save some tank water to swish your filter pads in, you can dechlorinate the tap water and get the temperature kinda close to the tank's and use it. Its the chlorine in the tap water that kills your BB. OS.

Back
Top Bottom