freshwater flounder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homer8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
this week ive been up at my gf's house near binghamton ny and i found a pet store that has freshwater flounder in stock. i went in yesterday(saturday) and u checked to make sure they still had them and they had about 3 of them in different tanks. im going later today to pick them up before i head back home. im going to be putting them in my brackish tank and i was wondering if anyone has ever had these and what were your experiences. ive heard they are hard to feed and i plan on feeding them bloodworms and brineshrimp using a turkey baster. i think i may pick up 2-3 but ill be making that decision when i get there or based on everyone elses opinions here.

They grow to about 6". Need brackish as juveniles then full marine as adults. They like meaty foods that sink. And they need a sand substrate as they like to bury themselves. Nocturnal, so feed at night.

sounds perfect for me then. i do have fine sand in my tank so they should love it. i am nocturnal myself so that should be great thanks for the input. have you ever had these? i had 1 when i was young but didnt know better and had it in full fresh and didnt know how to feed it. 12 years later i should be able to properly take care of it.

Homer8 said:
sounds perfect for me then. i do have fine sand in my tank so they should love it. i am nocturnal myself so that should be great thanks for the input. have you ever had these? i had 1 when i was young but didnt know better and had it in full fresh and didnt know how to feed it. 12 years later i should be able to properly take care of it.

I've never had one but had researched it after seeing them at my LFS. Decided they weren't what I wanted at the time!

i never see them in stores since the time when i was young. i have to get them to survive a 3.5 hour trip later today then have them survive acclimation to brackish. ive never had a fish, snail or shrimp die after acclimating them to brackish but i dont like that ill be spending $7 each and not being able to return them if they die because ill be 200 miles away.

There are several species. They do not all need full marine as adult. Make sure you know exactly which species you are picking up. ;)

i plan on it. i doubt the ones im going to be getting need full marine.

I got the flounder yesterday and he made the trip home. They only had one but that will be fine for now. The fish store was great because they kept questioning me. What size tank do you have. You do know what brackish is and other questions. It didnt take hin long before he buried himself but i got a picture off before he did.

Attachments

• image-2434342213.jpg
    image-2434342213.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 185
The store has a sale every wednesday because thats when they get their fish in its buy 1 freshwater fish get the second same fish for a penny. They do it because they dont like over stocking the tanks because the bacteria cant keep up with the amount of fish they put in at once so they try to sell them fast so they can live. Its a great store wish it was closer and bigger. They get a great selection of brackish. When i go to my gfs house over winter break i need to get a fish keeper from petco so i can keep them a week before bringing them back to my apartment.

im having a little trouble getting him to eat. i think i saw him eat some frozen brine shrimp that i got close to him with a turkey baster but i may try some live baby brine shrimp. he seems happy though. he isnt skiddish even with a fig 8 in there. he likes to stick to the glass which is neat because you can see his, i guess what you would call his stomach even though i think it is technically his right side of his body.

Back
Top Bottom