Freshwater flounder???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megnmick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How common are freshwater flounder? I saw them in a pet store, thought they were the coolest things, cause I didn't think they existed. But the two I had both die.? Just wondering if it was me or are they very rare? :?:

Apparently they are starting to show up in the lfs. There was another post recently about them. I FINALLY figured out what they are; do some research on Tonguefish. I'm pretty sure that's the guys. Hopefully you'll find out what sort of environment they need if you decide to try again.

I have one lasted for 3 months. Because of the natural facial structure, it is difficult for them to eat prepared food (froozen, petlet, dry freeze). They require live food. They would buried themself in sand and ate what ever that can fit and swim across across their mouth which slightly below the two eye.

Hi megnmick,

Was your substrate sand? Did you have any salt in the water?

I have read that do not do well with a gravel substrate, they prefer sand because they bury themselves into the sand (like vega mentioned).

Most of the 'freshwater species' that I read about turned out to be more brackish than freshwater.

Back
Top Bottom