Freshwater ID please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichaelsLilGray

Aquarium Advice FINatic
what am i?

attachment.php

Actually, that is a pencilfish. White cloud minnows have a thinner black stripe on their body. IMO, they look almost identical.

I really wanted these for a period, and couldn't think of the name during the first post :p, so I evaded and just put down pencilfish. I bought 2 when one of my lfs's had them in their tanks, and they were cool, but they were "strays" that came in with a shipment, so I couldn't really get more without paying a ridiculous amount at another lfs.

It's gotta be the heat today :p

krap101 for the win. i have thought about buying a bag for my 120. they are a neat fish.

actually...funny story. I bought some salvinia...you know...the floating plant. And I dunno how it happened, but the guy was like "yea yea...it's $5 a pinch." And I was like "a pinch?"...and he was like "yea, don't worry I got big hands." I laughed and said, "okay yea, gimme a pinch of salvinia."

When I got home and looked at the bag with the floating plants, I noticed two pencilfish were in the bag with the plants. His big hands musta scooped rather than pinched, because there were two of em in the bag. He took them from a stocked tank. I put them in quarantine for like 3 weeks not knowing what to do with them. Eventually I put them in my 20 gallon and gulp, my marble angel ate one within the first minute. So dissappointing. The other was eaten overnight I am sure...he did not make it til morning that's for sure. Had they only been a little bigger, they mighta had a chance. I really liked them though. Very pretty fish.

I've never seen them school (which is supposed to be really awesome), but shipping costs from online sites kind of ruins it for me. 50$ to ship 12 fish, which cost less than the shipping. That's why I opted for a school of neons in my 29. (the females are starting to get that "whalish" look)

understandable lots of places force over night when it can be shipped 2 day fine most times.

Boy, you guys really make this seem like it could be fun. I'm a newbie(?) sunaqua. Hope i can get as good at this as you two...what's a If ?

Back
Top Bottom