Freshwater plant selection help wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luckeystiff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just finished cycling my tank in mid July, and I and just endured an algae bloom. I was doing daily 30% water changes for the last 5 days (including today) and its pretty well cleared up.

Now I'm wondering if I could get some plants in order to hinder the algae in its growth. I know there are other options but I have heard that corys will profit from having plants in the tank.

My tank is a 35gallon with a fluval 206 canister filter running the media that came with it (bio foam, ceramic rings and carbon, which I have replaced every month) I have 5 danios and 4 panda corys. I have a fine sand substrate and some lace rock.

I will be going the fish store hopefully within the next weekend so that the algae can't grow back.

This will be the first time that I will have a planted tank so any extra tips or information on things I might need to get while at the fish store would be appreciated.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Are you looking to scape the tank or just for something to hinder algae? Floating plants are best for hindering algae growth since they take nutrients right from the water.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anubias
Java Fern
Vallisneria
Java moss
Amazon swords
Crypt parva
Hornwort
Wisteria
Water sprite

All relatively easy plants for those new to planted tanks.

Caleb

Thanks for the reply,

Floating plants are a good idea, but the aquatic plants selection in my area is very limited, so I was hoping to get something common like dwarf hair grass or java moss because thats what I can expect from my local fish store. Is there any submerged plants that you would recommend?

Wisteria, hornwort, foxtail, and anacharis are all good at keeping algae at bay.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the reply,

Floating plants are a good idea, but the aquatic plants selection in my area is very limited, so I was hoping to get something common like dwarf hair grass or java moss because thats what I can expect from my local fish store. Is there any submerged plants that you would recommend?

Dwarf hair grass is far from a beginner plant, just a warning. It needs med/high lighting, regular ferts, and sometimes co2 injection to thrive and carpet.

Caleb

Ok, thank you I'll stay away from dwarf hair grass.

The light that came with the kit seems to produce excessive amounts of light (35 watts). Would this be a problem for any of the plant species? Ones that require lower lighting maybe? My tank is only 17 inches deep, so will a 35 watt light be too much for this?

Ok, thank you I'll stay away from dwarf hair grass.

The light that came with the kit seems to produce excessive amounts of light (35 watts). Would this be a problem for any of the plant species? Ones that require lower lighting maybe? My tank is only 17 inches deep, so will a 35 watt light be too much for this?

T8 or T5 bulb?

Caleb

No plant actually requires lower lighting, some are just able to thrive under it, but if your lighting is too much, you'll either have to change the light or jump into a higher tech plant system to find a balance.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom