Freshwater Rays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a 150 gallon tank that is currently running as a planted community tank but i have been wondering how difficult rays are to have. I am aware that i would need to change everything to suit their needs, but if anybody owns or has had experience with them, i would like to know more about them. Thanks

I want one. I believe you should not have any decorations at the bottom and also soft sand. Sand that wont cut into them as well. They would probably eat smaller fish. Heaters cannot go anywhere near them since it could burn them. Need great water quality. Should be kept with larger tankmates as well

Do you know if there are any that arent poisonous?

Ya they are all going to still be poisonous but some more then others.

They are all poisonous to an extent. My LFS has some that they let me hand feed one time, they are pretty gentle. You need a huge tank for fresh water rays.

they need a large footprint, not necessarily gallonage. They are very sensitive to changes in ammonia, nitrates, ect.

I wonder how posionous they actually are, if its life threatening it would be noted right? The posion will probably do some damage though

Yea large footprint for sure, motoros have like a 36-39" disc. I haven't read anything about them stinging their owners. Rays aren't something to be taken lightly, do lots of research!

honestly, your 150 gallon tank is too small for freshwater rays.
A 6-foot footprint just seems too small imo.

I feel they would need at least an 8-foot (200 gallon tank) minimum.

Bubble_B0y said:
honestly, your 150 gallon tank is probably too small for freshwater rays.
A 6-foot tank seems too small imo.

I feel they would need at least an 8-foot (200 gallon tank) minimum.

It's not so much the length but depth as well. I know allot of people keep them in indoor ponds or big custom tanks.The 150 would be ok for a little while, but not long term.

Ok thanks for all the advice... Sounds like theyre a long shot at this point, but still very interesting.

150 will be too small for the motoros but have you ever thought about reticulated aka teacup stingrays?
They grow only to about 12-14" disc diamter and would be fine in a 150 as long as its not tall style of tank.

Back
Top Bottom