Freshwater Shrimp Species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Singapore (aka bamboo, aka wood) shrimp are probably the most entertaining to have. They reach three or four inches in length, can be a vibrant dark red, and are completely peaceful.

Cherry red shrimp are pretty sweet. The males become an intense RED red color. They do great as algae eaters, too. Never seen one get bigger than an inch, though.

Algae Eating Shrimp(what they were labeled at lfs) are really cool they are kinda a green colour and about 1inch long. Also like Technic said Cherry shrimp are also a bright red. Both of these shrimp are peaceful but the Algae Eating Shrimp might get eatin by bigger fish :|
Good Luck :D

Don't forget the loveable vampire shrimp...big and scary-looking, but a harmless filter feeder!

Attachments

• atya_gabonensis.jpg
    atya_gabonensis.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 75
I have Cherry Reds, really like them. They are usually an in long but its possible for them to get bigger.

I think all shrimp love planted aquariums, my Cherry reds keep the plants sparkeling.

Heres a decent site: http://www.fishpondinfo.com/shrimp.htm

Yeah, junior is the way to go in this hobby. My Balas were only a couple of bucks, but I have seen adult ones for as much as $40!

Some of my own specimens (several personally collected in Puerto Rico):

Atyidae

Atya lanipes:

Xiphocarididae

Xiphocaris elongata:

Palaemonidae

Undetermined Macrobrachium 1:

Undetermined Macrobrachium 2:

Undetermined Macrobrachium 3:

Likely M. acanthurus:

M. rosenbergii:

"M. duarii":

Please accept my apologies for the poor image quality.

Tiffi said:
I've heard though that Macriobrachium shrimps go after fishes and try to eat them. True?

Some (but by no means all) of them do: look to the first M. duarii image. Indeed, M. carcinus (some specimens 26 inches+) have been documented as having gone after fair-sized watersnakes.

Back
Top Bottom