Freshwater substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

possum

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am setting up a 125 gallon tank and want to have a spiny eel (fire eel if i can find one) and was wondering what the finest grain size would be safe to use in freshwater. I want something the eel can burrow into and not get hurt. But i dont know if real fine sand would be a bad thing to use or not. Thanks

how many can i keep in a tank together? I heard the fire eels are one per tank, but petco has some very nice tiretrack eels and i think they can be kept with others of the same species.

Hrmm...

Size wise that may work for the tire track and fire eel (a 125g tank); I don't know anyone who has kept both so I don't know how it would work temperament wise tho...aren't both semi-aggressive? I'm wondering, if because they have similar needs, they would fight over food and the best spaces in the tank...

The eel loves to burrow, BUT it doesn't need a very fine substrate. As long as the substrate is not sharp, the eel will be able to get in. The eels at my LFS are able to burrow into the weathered glass and large bead substrate (ugly...) in their tank. I think you'll find that they're quite powerful creatures!

In a tank with larger fish, you won't want to have a sand substrate, as it's harder to get clean (you can only use the gravel vac to an extent). I'd recommend a rounded gravel, or nice rounded pebbles.

I've found sand to work pretty well even with larger fish. While it's true that you can't dig into the substrate to vacuum like you can with gravel, all of the mulm just sits on top of the sand, so there isn't any need to. I've been nothing but impressed since I switched to sand.

I found some pool filter media/gravel that is pretty small and only 20 bucks for 100 pounds ;) so thats what im gonna use. Thanks for all your help!

Those eels can burry into gravel, yes.

I have an 8inch Peacock, and he burrows easily into my medium/large rounded gravel. Altho he much prefers to wrap himself around a plant or hide under a decorative stump

Back
Top Bottom