Freshwater Tank, Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yratra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, i just got a upgraded my small tank to a 55 Gal Tank, just wanted to if i havent over stocked it....

I have:

1 Male Betta

He doesn't interact with any other fish, and normally rests on his personal leaf plant. his scared of me, so he doesn't come up for food when everyone else knows I'm about to feed them, so hopefully is getting food when i don't look.

9 Neon Tetras

Which mostly stick together and sometimes seen playing with each other in the leaves of plants. They don't like the betta when his close to them, 1 or 2 will try get behind him and nip him, but his quick and knows his not welcome and goes away.

5 Female Guppies

These females are still pregnant from when i got them from the pet shop.
They stick together, and keep on dropping babies in the community tank. Hopefully theyll stop having fry soon. even though i know they can keep dropping for months after mating.

3 Corydoras

They are always together, eating in some corner or hole. they seem very happy. hopefully they get enough food, i do drop some sinking pellets for them.

2 Bristlenoses

They are hardly seen because they are only 2 cm long at the moment, you can see them on drift wood hidden or see there tail wagging from inside a hole, they seem fine.

and 2 Silver sharks (Bala Sharks)

I know they can get really big, but there only 7-8 cm long and they normally stick with the female guppies and i dont think the guppies care.
Ill just move them to my indoor pond when there bigger, hopefully they will be happy there.

Im just letting nature take its course with the baby guppy fry. coz i dont need anymore fish...

Is this aquarium over stocked???

Ps

Salt has been added (just the right amount to prevent disease)
Ph is between 6.8 -7.2
Ammonia is Nil
Nitrite is Nil

The tank seems fine at the moment, but once the bala sharks get big, I think they will start eating the smaller fishes (neon tetras).

Also, what kind of filtration do you have? I am not sure which pleco you have, but it is black, it is most likely to be common which grows to be almost 1.5 foot. And plecos have a huge bioload.

The tank seems fine at the moment, but once the bala sharks get big, I think they will start eating the smaller fishes (neon tetras).

Also, what kind of filtration do you have? I am not sure which pleco you have, but it is black, it is most likely to be common which grows to be almost 1.5 foot. And plecos have a huge bioload.

Great point made. What kind of filtration do you have?

yeh before the bala get big ill move them to the indoor freshwater pond, which has no water in it at the moment.

The Pleco is the one that gets big, the pet store told me they don't get that big, they always tell you the "truth" apparently

anyway i thought i might move them to the pond in like a year or 2 when they start getting bigger.

I have a over hang filter its huge

Filter Pro External ex8 is its name, i dont know much about them, but with sand i could only get an over hang filter, and i do stir the sand to remove air pockets every time i do a filter clean (2 weeks) (apparently it filters 800 Litres an hour) am in australia, dont know how many gallons

oh and another question if anyone could answer, is there a reason, why the fish go crazy and dart around for about 10 seconds? after the aquarium lights been turned off.... i suppose as humans we would take time to get used to it, so as long as it is nothing bad for the fish....

the only fish that wont make it in that tank is the betta...and I'm only saying this from experience...when you have a betta in anything larger then a 10 gallon tank they become very shy...its to big of a space for them...not trying to tell you what to do like a lot of people do on here but if you keep your betta in the 55 with all those fish it will die...for a couple of reasons...(1) the tank is to large for a betta...they become shy and overwhelmed with all that space...(2) your betta will not eat because all the other fish will be eating all the food before it will...bettas are slow moving fish...I've had bettas in a 29 gallon tank with fish that were the same size but they moved to fast.and ate all the food before he did...he eventually died...just trying to look out for your betta

Not sure if I agree regarding the comment about the tank being too big for the betta, they are more likely to become shy because of its tank mates. Mine was fine in a 63 gallon tank but has become more shy since introducing gouramis. He is very wary of them

from all the research I've done about bettas a lot of them.say large tanks will make a betta become shy but hey all fish are different...some are punks and some aren't...but if his betta is acting shy and not eating like he said then that's not good

hmm, ok. yeh i understand the problem with the betta, but i wont be able to run to filtered tanks, i do have a small 5 gallon for the betta so he can be moved, but can't run 2 at the same time.... is that the only option left to me?

yeh my betta isnt a punk,

yeh his not fast enough for his food, and he cant catch the guppy fry

Back
Top Bottom