freshwater tank with hydras growing in it that...(HELP!!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zilla870

Aquarium Advice FINatic
looks like it should be in a saltwater tank. they are about 1/4'' or smaller. white in color. they have 3 to 4 Polyp that come off their main stem. i have about 30+ of them in my tank.

i will try to get a photo.

yeah, that's what they are called. are they safe for my fish??????and if not how do u get rid of them

Hydra are coelenterates like jellyfish, anemones and corals and are predatory with the same type of stinging cells (nematocysts) as their cousins. Fortunately they really aren't a threat to anything much larger than a guppy fry. Some gouramis (especially Blue Gouramis, in my experience) will eat them. Otherwise they're pretty tough to get rid of. Because they can regenerate quite easily, if you try to scrape them off you'll simply break them apart and each of those parts can then regenerate a new animal.

Copper-based medications will frequently kill them but can also be a threat to the fish in your aquarium, especially scale-less fishes like catfish and loaches. They will also play merry hell with any desirable invertebrates like shrimp and/or snails that you may be keeping in your aquarium.

-Joe

so i guess i am turning my 40G into a ZOO then. i have snails, clams, cories, etc in that tank. are there any other fish that will eat them like oto, mollies, swordtail,etc.

personally i like hydra. not that they help any but they look cool. when you try to touch them hey retract and they wave around and stuff

I read a story a while ago about Hydra that said using Fluke Tabs (made by the company Aquarium Products) will eliminate all or most of Hydra. They are nasty little creatures that likely came in from your water source. Also, they eat live foods. Baby brine shrimp especially.

Also, you can grab up some Basuman's Tropical Fish Tonic. It's a medication, but advertises that it can eliminate hydra.

Check out this link for the Fluke Tabs:
http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/skus/me/MEAP-FT1.asp?E+scstore

Otherwise, the only otehr way to kill it would be to empty the tank out and wash it in a chlorine solution.

HTH. Good luck!

I got rid of mine by not feeding the fish for three days, then only feed them every other day. Haven't seen any since.

Kim

Back
Top Bottom