Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2006, 02:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Freshwater tarpon?

I stopped in a tiny hole-in-the-wall fish store I had never seen before, just out of curiosity to see if they had anything rare or exotic.

In a freshwater tank, they had a bunch of silvery fish, about 1' to 18 inches long. They sold for about $24, as I recall. The label on the tank said "Tarpoon", and I swear they did look like tarpon, or at least an Elopiform like a ladyfish - even the mouth structure was the same.

I have googled "tarpoon" and can only find instances where tarpon was misspelled, I even looked on fishbase, and couldn't find a common name tarpoon. I know that tarpon are capable of living in brackish, and even fresh water at various times in their lives, but find it difficult to believe that this highly prized saltwater gamefish (legally catch and release only) would be available as a pet, but I can't dismiss the idea that this is just a misspelled tarpon they are selling. The only other option I can think of is they are selling some kind of other fish (some characoids can be long and silver, and resemble it) and are trying to capitalize on the tarpon similarity by calling it a tarpoon.

I would appreciate any information anyone had which could satisfy my curiosity.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Did it have anything resembling barbels or antennae near the mouth? On first thought, I think an arowanna has a "similar" look as a juvenile.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

No, it wasn't an arowana, no osteoglossum. Plus, caudal fin was very distinct and forked. They did sell arowanas in another tank. Seriously, the thing looked just like a tarpon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tarpon2_875.jpg (176.5 KB, 141 views)
Old 08-11-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

tarpon

I googled freshwater tarpon, and found a) a Thai outfit that would guide you to fish tarpon in rivers, and b) another company that would do the same in Costa Rica. The Costa Rican place even had some info on studies done locally proving something like 14% of the tarpon had never been is saltwater.

So it seems tarpon can be a fresh or at least a brackish water fish. Now the question is how big of a tank does a 300 lb very active fish need? And are they schooling fish?? Hello, Seaworld??? LOL
Old 08-11-2006, 05:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was tempted to buy it, but didn't want to put it in one of my tanks, and feared even my pond was too small for the size it might grow : D
Old 08-11-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

tarpon

Yeah I can see where a 3 or 4 foot fish that will swim like a demon and can clear the water when jumping might be a big large for anything less than an acre or 2. LOL But it would be reaaaallly cool!!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tarpon are HUGH. They migrate between fresh and salt water. Big fishing down in the Gulf. Definitely NOT an aquarium fish LOL They're known for their fight and their high jumps when hooked.
ps - you need a special license to fish for Tarpon.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:58 PM   #8

i live in FL also and have seen a tarpoon jump out of the water and catch a small bird. FYI
Old 08-11-2006, 10:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You need a special licence to keep tarpon or else you could pay a hefty fine.

Besides being bony and hard to fillet (a reason why people don't like to eat them), they get massive. More than 6ft long and over 200lbs.

I live in FL and I have caught one before and one would be crazy to keep it in an aquarium.

However I do know a guy that keeps a couple in a huge brackish pond behind his house.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:52 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They have em at my LFS and they label them "Freshwater Barracuda"... I thought the same thing, "Dang, those are 6 inch TARPON in that there tank!"

Tags
freshwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com