Freshwater Wasp fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lindenthaler.9

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have experience keeping these? I just came across these and have never seen or heard of them before. Butterfly goby seems to be their other common name, Neovespicula Depressifrons is the scientific name. (This appears to be their new scientific name, Vespicula Depressifrons was the previous scientific)

Does anyone know what SG they do best in? I've read conflicting information where some they live brackish their entire lives, and others saying they will require full salt.
I've already determined they'll have a species only tank, right now I'm thinking mid end brackish. Any opinions on whether they should be kept alone or in groups? And if so, tank size for a group?

Thanks in advance-

How to keep your new butterfly goby/wasp fish, Vespicula depressifrons, with pictures

(The best source I've found so far)

They are brackish. I used to keep puffers for a very long time. I know puffer fish can go full marine and some choose to do so, so they can add live rock. As many people have gone that direction it has slowly been miss translated on forums like this (sort of like the telephone game) and now people claim that they will eventually need full marine which is not true. I haven not kept wasp fish but I believe it is the same deal with them.

Thanks- I thought brackish would be the way to go.

Puffers are my favorite and I keep a few different species. I've read on.. considerably older forum posts where people keep Wasp fish with puffers but it doesn't seem like a good mix to me. From what I've read they're picky, slow eaters and I would definitely be concerned about them potentially starving.

Back
Top Bottom