Freshy cycle gone wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new tank

Aquarium Advice Regular
Tank wont go below 34 degrees and has gone cloudy brown. Should i do a water change? Or will this take all goodness out and return me to square 1?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are you cycling with or without fish?

Without

Yes..

Is this not well too hot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it so hot? Turn the heater down?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its at its minimum setting. I think it must be faulty. Ive taken it out completly tonight too see what the tanks temp is without a heater in it. Would this temp kill off the cycle?

It shouldn't, I have had mine up to 90 for treating the ich for a week or two and nothing bad happen. What's the temp of the room the tank is in?

Not sure to be honest but will have to check tomorrow as not at home tonight. Havent done a water change yet so may try that then test the water as long as the water temp is lower. Is it better to do a test before or after a water change?

Before, give you more info on your water chemistry. Testing after a water change is going to be diluted.

The higher temp might help grow beneficial bacteria, they grow faster when its warmer.

:fish2: :fish1:

Right, i got home, tank still cloudy. Have done my own tests using 'mini master kit' and these are the results
Amonia=0
Nitrite=0.1or maybe 0.3
Nitrate=5 or maybe 10
PH=7.5 or maybe 8

First time doing tests but did them thoroughly.

Very pleased!!!!!! Have done a 30% water change too for yhe first time and tank does look clearer although no way crystal yet. Have put water conditioner in with change plus the little bit of what i had left of the biological enhancer. Hope this wont spike the ammonia levels now as all was looking good.

Back
Top Bottom