friend for my tetra and who goes well together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenny H.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK so I got bad advice from my LFS and I need some help. I have a serpae tetra and a zebra danio in a 5 gallon tank. It has cycled and I now have a 10 gallon that I am going to transfer them to. My filter can go up to 15 gallons so I can use the same filter and media. So my question is, I need a few friends for my serpae tetra. I don't really want anymore serpae's due to this one does nothing and isn't the prettiest of fish. If i got a couple neon tetras would the serpae tetra school with them? I was planning on getting 2 neons to go with the serpae and either 2 glofish or long tailed guppies to go with it also. does this sound like a good mix?

Serpae tetras need bigger groups which will probably make them more interesting and also they are pretty colorful if you ask me, are u sure its a Serpae? Maybe you could try shrimp with neons or guppies. I wouldn't recommend the danios because they need like 6 at least together and they may get to large for your taste. I'm not really sure tho hopefully someone else will chime in..?

Usually tetras only school with their own kind. As with all tetras, they should be kept in groups of 5+. If you want to keep the serpae, you should up his school. Otherwise I'd take him back to the pet store. He is probably pretty boring because he doesn't have the comfort of a school with him.

Zebra danios generally require at least a 20 gallon long due to their high energy and need for horizontal swimming space. Glofish are the same species, but with altered color genes and the same goes for them. I really wouldn't suggest keeping them in a 10 gallon.

You could have a school of neons (5 or 6) and some guppies. That could work. Both are colorful and active fish. :)

OK so I got bad advice from my LFS and I need some help. I have a serpae tetra and a zebra danio in a 5 gallon tank. It has cycled and I now have a 10 gallon that I am going to transfer them to. My filter can go up to 15 gallons so I can use the same filter and media. So my question is, I need a few friends for my serpae tetra. I don't really want anymore serpae's due to this one does nothing and isn't the prettiest of fish. If i got a couple neon tetras would the serpae tetra school with them? I was planning on getting 2 neons to go with the serpae and either 2 glofish or long tailed guppies to go with it also. does this sound like a good mix?
As others have said, all Tetras need schools of fish to be happy. My 3 Neons were very uncolorful and inactive, always sitting in the corner. I got them two more friends and BANG! They were more active, pretty, and more entertaining. My vote is that you just get a few more Serpaes.

Back
Top Bottom