Friend used bleach to clean filter!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phishfriend

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok. So a friend that knew I was about to start a build gave my a used HOT Magnum Canister Filter that they don't use any longer. They told me prior to giving it to me that it all the parts had been in a water/bleach solution of a "couple capfuls" bleach added to a bucket of water.

I don't use bleach on any tank equipment. So What's the best way to insure it's completely rinsed? I have run it on a 5 gal bucket with Prime and changed the water twice. Anything else I should Do?

It's not as big a deal as it initially seems. Bleach is mostly chlorine which will just dissipate in time. Giving it a good rinsing in a bucked with Treated water ... Seachem Prime should do the trick.

Yea the whole bleach thing was really questionable to me as well. I just ordered a diatom filter and you wash out the bags with bleach water. From what I have read you just soak it in bleach water then rinse it thoroughly in treated water. I was paranoid that the bleach will somehow kill my fish.

Back
Top Bottom