Friend's cruel 1 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nelo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I visited my friend's apartment for the first time since she and her boyfriend had set up a gallon tank. They've had it for a few months. The current inhabitants are two blue gouramis about 2.5-3" long. I was so horrified I didn't know what to say or how to react, so unfortunately I just remained silent as she said "Do you like our gouramis? They seem happy in their home. None of the other fish survived. You're not supposed to keep too many fish in a small tank." Well, all I said was that I have a five gallon reserved for my ADF and male betta. Her boyfriend acts like he knows everything and is an ***. I really wish I could mention something but I don't want to be too rude about it because I know I can be especially when it comes to the welfare of animals.
Advice?

I visited my friend's apartment for the first time since she and her boyfriend had set up a gallon tank. They've had it for a few months. The current inhabitants are two blue gouramis about 2.5-3" long. I was so horrified I didn't know what to say or how to react, so unfortunately I just remained silent as she said "Do you like our gouramis? They seem happy in their home. None of the other fish survived. You're not supposed to keep too many fish in a small tank." Well, all I said was that I have a five gallon reserved for my ADF and male betta. Her boyfriend acts like he knows everything and is an ***. I really wish I could mention something but I don't want to be too rude about it because I know I can be especially when it comes to the welfare of animals.
Advice?

Act genuinely worried and say the fish are very very stressed. Ask them to re-home somewhere else or upgrade to a much larger tank, probably closer to 55g with lots of hiding spots if they wish to keep their fish.

I really don't think it's rude to tell your friends that their tank is too small. I understand the hesitation, but if they are animal lovers they will probably appreciate the feedback in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom