friends pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys/girls i am a saltwater guy myself but my gf mom has a tank 55 gal with guppys mollies tetras of all sorts alot of fish in there she also has a pleco two i think cant remember but one is about foot long she has a top on the tank standard top lights and a lid the pleco has been getting cloudy eyes and a sore on his nose he keeps jumping up and hitting the lid on the tank they have had him at least 2-4 years and he has never done this before any ideas wats going on? the time they have had him might be way off but i know at least two years thats how long me and my girl have been dating and i know they had him before that.

plecos will run up to the surface for air.. i believe to help with suction... tell her to leave about an inch or two of unfilled area for him to surface at.

i belive they have some area for him to do so but i will find out more today my gf is coming over she knows more about her moms tank than i do i will ask her next time i hear or see her

Just think though.. a foot long pleco is going to need a good little bit of jumping space in order to get air..

I just purchased a pacu with a busted up nose.. use some melafix in the tank.. it works amazingly well

yea i told her to use that i have used it on something in salt before cant remember wat it was tho oh yea a damsel one of my clowns nearly killed but yea told her to get that but she got something that made her tank nasty lookin for a few days and it foamed bad didnt do any good either lol it was made by api tho it looked like little brown tablets

The biggest thing would be to get the foot long pleco into a bigger tank. That tank is too small.

Id say at the time a 55 gallon is sufficient... when it start climbing over the 17" mark.. time to move up... that... and a 55 galllon is a big tank to some... we dont all have room for 125g+ tanks lol

Id say at the time a 55 gallon is sufficient... when it start climbing over the 17" mark.. time to move up... that... and a 55 galllon is a big tank to some... we dont all have room for 125g+ tanks lol

Not debating if the plec can go in a 55g or not. But that almost sounds like "well it's to big for my tank but I can't fit a bigger tank in my house so its fine to ignore the fish's needs" excuse. Which is bad really.

Back
Top Bottom