Fright of my life!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiguardo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have come home from a two week holiday to a frightening sight :(

My mother in law has been feeding my tank whilst I was away with the food which I had portioned into individual days to avoid overfeeding. A couple of days ago she started saying the tank was going very green, but to my horror on my return tonight, it is VERY GREEN, with bright green algae.

My angels were looking very unhappy at the bottom of the tank, but my Clown Loaches, Gourami, and Rainbow Shark all looked ok. I performed a 20% water change & my angels seem to have perked up considerably (so hope they're ok). The only thing I could think is that I removed a couple
Of plants before going away, but didn't reduce my lighting, and this has caused it.

I did a test after performing my PWC & my readings were as follows: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Ph 6.5(usual) & Nitrate 5, so I am hoping that the quality is ok for my fish.

Any suggestions as to what to do next? PWC's every day for a few days? I have turned my lights off completely to hopefully slow the growth.

Not what I wanted to see on my return.....

Green water generally comes from light and a spike of nutrients. It is also self correcting as it eats up the excess nutrients now you have to get rid of it. Turning off the lights and doing some large water changes should help get rid of it. Try to limit your feedings as well. The less nutrients it has to work with the better off you will be.

You can also do a black out or run a diatom filter if you have one.

That sounds like my worst nightmare as I'll be going away for a two week family vacation myself.

Since your parameters are good, for now I'd say PWC's to clear up the water (It's what I'd do.) ... and I suppose keep the lights off for a couple of days? ...
Or ... you could go to 4hrs on 4hrs off. Members are having success with that cycle for combating algae, yet giving plants enough light.

Good luck.

Now I'm scared haha. I'm about to leave for a two week trip this Saturday...

--Adeeb

Thank you everyone for your ideas. I'll keep you all posted as to how it goes. So gutted as I did a PWC the day I left & my water was crystal clear. Then came back to find this. I nearly wept :( The main thing is all the fish seem ok this morning (once they come to the front & I can see them!) Angels seem much happier & my loaches don't seem bothered at all :)
I didn't expect to be doing a PWC at 3am this morning after travelling for 18 hours, but we'd all do the same I'm sure for our fish.
I'll do Another PWC this morning, clean my filter & no lights. Think it might be a slow process. What do you think my maximum PWC's should be per day 15-20%?

I'd do a couple of larger water changes (~50% or more) for the next couple days to get it cleared up, cut back on lighting, and it should be reduced if not eliminated completely.

Green water isn't going to kill the fish, I think they actually like it.

jetajockey said:
I'd do a couple of larger water changes (~50% or more) for the next couple days to get it cleared up, cut back on lighting, and it should be reduced if not eliminated completely.

That is a big +1. Everything will be ok.

tiguardo said:
Hi. Thank you for the link & advice. I hope I can clear it up, I'm just gutted at how it looks now, compared to when I went away, but my fish are feeding & strangely don't seem too bothered.

Like tea water from tannins, it may look bad but the fish aren't really bothered by it and in a few days it'll be just as nice looking as when you left on vacation :D.

I'm not sure what kind of filter you have, but poly-fil can help tremendously in removing it from your water column.

jetajockey said:

Just done a 50% PWC & I can see the back of the tank, just! Gonna leave the lights off, and do another change tomorrow, but am feeling I bit more optimistic now. Good to see my fish (albeit through a rather thick green smog!!!)

An update on my 'green water'.....

I have performed two 50% PWC's over last couple of days & have done a 'blackout' on the tank for the past 18 hours or so, which has improved things markedly. Going to stay 'blacked out' for the next 36 hours & then will perform another large PWC.

Keeping my fingers crossed :)

Deckape said:
Great news, thanks for sharing your experience

Thanks for your kind words & advice. Feeling much happier about things now. Its something you can do without on return from your holiday, but very rewarding when you start to see improvement!

tiguardo said:
Thanks for your kind words & advice. Feeling much happier about things now. Its something you can do without on return from your holiday, but very rewarding when you start to see improvement!

:)

An update.....

After a 60 hour blackout, I have tonight performed a 50% PWC. HUGE improvement in water quality. I'm going to keep lighting to a few hours a day until I can add more plants later in the week. I would say it's 90% back to what it was. I would thoroughly recommend the blackout method to help with a 'green water algae' outbreak. Will keep my eye on things & hope I have no return of 'the green fog' :)

An update.....

After a 60 hour blackout, I have tonight performed a 50% PWC. HUGE improvement in water quality. I'm going to keep lighting to a few hours a day until I can add more plants later in the week. I would say it's 90% back to what it was. I would thoroughly recommend the blackout method to help with a 'green water algae' outbreak. Will keep my eye on things & hope I have no return of 'the green fog' :)

I would be careful with the black-out method. In some cases it can make things worse. It can cause a mass die off of the algae triggering a sudden massive addition to the bioload of the tank. Most of the time, close monitoring is needed if you are doing this, so anyone trying this, be careful. It worked out so well for tiguardo due to his massive water changes and his diligence in monitoring the situation.

BTW, I'm glad that it has worked out so well for you!

Shadowraven said:
I would be careful with the black-out method. In some cases it can make things worse. It can cause a mass die off of the algae triggering a sudden massive addition to the bioload of the tank. Most of the time, close monitoring is needed if you are doing this, so anyone trying this, be careful. It worked out so well for tiguardo due to his massive water changes and his diligence in monitoring the situation.

BTW, I'm glad that it has worked out so well for you!

Thanks. I was just reporting my experience, in the hope it may help others faced with the same situation. It's certainly no 'cure all', but when I look at my tank now, compared to a few days ago, it has really aided it's recovery. Now when i look at my tank it no longer makes me want to weep!!

I will keep monitoring the water quality, and fingers crossed things will continue to improve.

Well things improved in the tank considerably. I have now added some Elodea Densa & Java Fern, plus three Bristlenose Pleco. The glass is now spotless & I've cut my lighting to about 5 hours a day.

Over the past two days I just seem to be getting a little more of a green hew to the water again. All my parameters are fine, but it looks frustratingly green, especially with the lights off. With the lights on it has more of a hazy look to it, rather than green.

Bit frustrated & not quite sure how to improve things....

as Mr. Limpet said do SMALL water changes not large read the article he posted

Back
Top Bottom