Frogbit? ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McClapyourhands

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone help me i.d. these guys? I have been looking for frogbit. I saw this at my lfs (if you'd call it that more like a super center) they had no clue what it was and they didn't charge me for it. Until I'm sure what it is, I am not putting it in my tank. Any help is appreciated! 20170514_153153.jpg20170514_153224.jpg20170514_153241.jpg

That's what I was afraid of... anyone know a good place to find floating plants. There is almost nothing in my lfs

Shape/size does not look like duckweed. Also, pretty sure duckweed has a single root per plant, not multiple roots.

It's not duckweed.
Fresh is correct, duckweed has a single root strand.

Here's my duckweed and water lettuce roots.
IMG_7812.jpg

I'd say it's Phyllanthus Fluitans.
Mine was really green when it first came but it's gone a lovely copper shade now.

I'll get a pic in a bit.

Put it in your tank.
It's good for your water, good for your fish, and looks pretty.

Silly shop for not charging. They go for around $3-$5 per 10 individual pieces, or 30-50 cents each, so not expensive, but still.

Here's my duckweed covering...
IMG_7811.jpg

See the water lettuce with the long spikes roots?

And if you zoom in, at the very back is some of the Fluitans.

It's not Frogbit for sure. If you do need Frogbit however, just let me know. That and Salvinia Minima are the two floating plants I use.

Back
Top Bottom