Frogs and Mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gloomy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I gave my 10 gal tank to my friend's son. It has been up and running for about a year and a half. It has 3 black mollies in it at the moment. What we want to know is...can you put those little dwarf frogs in the tank with the mollies?

If your talking about the ADF { african dwarf frogs } Yes you can very well. I have 4 in with mollies , guppys, Apistogrammas 3 differnt spices, Ghost shrimp, bumblebee gobys, GBR's {german blue rams} and Kribs and also tetra's. The whole set-up is a peaceful community and lives n peace. Til the Kribs spwn whitch they do all the time. I have to frys in the wiggler stage now. The frogs want hurt anything in the tank.

But the frogs are quit famouns for being nippers. By nippers I mean thet nip the tips of the fish tail fins alot. Mine just nip the kribs becasue the kribs chase them when with fry. But anyway. Yes the frogs can be ket with the miollies.

as long as you dont buy the commonly confused african clawed frogs (usually albino colored) he ate two of my albino cherry barbs within an hour

the ADFs are peaceful for the most part, ive only kept them with larger fish though, and they like to be kept in groups or pairs.

they are very blind, you may have to hand feed them of turkey baste frozen blood worms to them, as fish will eat much of the food before the frogs gets to it

also how deep is your tank? they need to get to the surface for gulps of air and they don't swim all that well.

i have a ten gallon with 3 mollies, pleco, upside down cat and an african dwarf frog and everyone gets along swimmingly (sorry for the pun). my frog has never nipped at any of the fish and the fish never bother her. in fact, her and the pleco hang out side by side in the rock at times. although, i hope you have a lid as sometimes i find my frog sitting on top of my submerged hob filter.

Thanks for the input....When he does go to get frogs I will make sure to check and make sure they are the proper frogs and we can lower the level a bit in the tank...I wonder what he will think about feeding them worms...hehehe

Its not a brackish tank...The mollies were the first fish I ever got when I cycled my tank so long ago...They have been fine in the freshwater...and strangely have outlived everything else...

Yeah...I heard about that later...I asked about it at Petsmart, where I had originally bought the mollies...and they all just gave me a dumb look...

That's because Petsmart needs to sell and more will sell if they are labeled as fresh water. Molliies prefer brackish water over other conditions so they will probably live longer. If you very slowly acclimate them they can "survive" in fresh or complete salt, but prefer brackish.

Maybe I should take the mollies back and just get the kid some frogs...But if I put them in a brackish tank will they be shocked by that?...seems like they have always been in freshwater...and I would hate to try to fix the problem only to have them die from shock of a correct environment.

i dont know about feeding your adf worms, they are very young when you get them usually...mine are hooked on frozen blood worms (dont bother with freeze dried for frogs, it cost more and they dont care for it, not)

The particular ones I saw were about an inch long...I was thing more in the way of the frozen worms...That is what I used to feed the toads...and these little pellets...Yikes...this complicated...maybe I will tell his mom that the frogs are "too expensive to maintain"...and get some cory cats

Back
Top Bottom