frozen food... a little help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought frozen food for the first time for my fishies. It is a muti pac of sorts, it has 4 different types of food I think. I have never fed frozen food and I have read that it can be messy. So any tips?? also is there a way to break up the portions? The cubes look huge, and I am not sure I want to put that much guck into the tank. TIA!! :D

sometimes I cut up the cube and defrost it in a bowl (use a reg bowl like a cereal bowl.. place warm water in there... place the net in and drop the worm cube or whatever it is into the net and in a couple mins i pull it out and place it into the fish tank)
this seems to stop some of the "blood" or whatever the redstuff seems to be that causes some cloudiness at times or stains...

with brine shrimp i just drop them into the tank they seem to love em better fresh out of there... the only thing my fish don't eat are the frozen beef hearts.. i haven't had any fish eat those and some people say they are really unhealthy for most fish so I guess my fish are healthy eaters ;)

i just use a butter knife to break a cube into chunks and then i put a little tank water in a cup and thaw the chunk then i do the usual "as much as they can consume in a few minutes" routine. if i don't use a chunk i put it back in the package. i have a 10 gallon with some small fish and for that one i usually just scrape the side of the cube to get some shavings to stick in there. i have noticed some of my fish getting spoiled from certain foods and then they won't eat others like flake for example so keep that in mind. not sure what to do to prevent that though.

I usually cut my frozen cubes into 4 or 8 pieces (depending on the size of the cubes) with a kitchen knife. Carefull not to cut your fingers!
If you are not sure about the portion, begin with smaller bits of food, if you see it's too little for your fish to have a good meal, take larger pieces!
I take a piece of the cube and put it in my fish net and hold it under streaming water until the cube is melted. I use the net so that all the fluid which the food is frozen in is gone (tiny mazes, good to remove fluid, but the food stays in!).
Then i take my net and put it in the tank and wave it around until most of the food is gone from it. I then wash it again to make sure any remaining food is gone from it (we don't want decaying food in our nets now do we).

HTH! :D

wow thanks! All good advice! I took out one cube (hard to get out of the package) and put it in a cup with tank water. It was blood worms and didn't look too messy. So I just scooped out some with a spoon and drained off the liquid, then dropped some in. A whole cube is WAY too much for my little fish. I think I read that you can keep thawed food for a day or two in the fridge. Safe or no?

Back
Top Bottom